Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
We have a odd situation at work where our internet gateway is down today, so no one can connect to the internet, but we can still access our internal network server to access files to work and print.

I turned on the Mobile Hotspot on my phone to get internet access so I could check emails, but when I do, my iMac can no longer print to my local network Toshiba Printer because it is trying to connect with it over Wifi. I then have to turn off my hotspot connection just to print, then reactivate it to check emails again.

Basically I am wanting to use Wifi for internet access, but Ethernet for Printing.
Is there way to tell the system to print ONLY via Ethernet, and ignore the Wifi connection?

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Is it *possible*? Yes, it's possible. But it requires your network(s) to be designed to allow it. The key factor is how the networks are configured. Your networks may not be configured to work in that configuration. Work with the IT guy in your office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.