Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2016
Houston, TX
My late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina, running Mavericks, locked on the wheel of death during a Google search last month and shut off forever. After booting it in safe and all other modes I could think of, it was clear the ssd was toast. Not recognized. hd(0) I took it to a repair shop that claimed to repair PC's AND Macs (never mind how stupid that was) and the tech told me with absolute confidence that all I needed was a new ssd. I am now on my third aftermarket ssd installed by this guy and my macbook has shut itself down again. Replacing the ssd card is all the guy did all three times. I will be lucky to get my money back, and have already ordered a new macbook, but I am curious: has anyone else heard of this happening? Could a problem with my logic board be frying my ssds after several hours of running normally? My backup was restored from Time Machine each time, I used my legal authorization code to reactivate Office for Windows, and I ran no new apps and downloaded no new programs any of the three times I had ssd cards installed, and my repaired mac died each time within hours of getting it back from the shop. Is it worth even trying to get it repaired, again?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Could a problem with my logic board be frying my ssds after several hours of running normally?
Could it? Yes.

My suggestion would be to get the original back if you still can and send it to Apple if you still want the thing repaired.

If you want to use it as an excuse to upgrade to a new one, well, that's ok too.

circe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2016
Houston, TX
Could it? Yes.

My suggestion would be to get the original back if you still can and send it to Apple if you still want the thing repaired.

If you want to use it as an excuse to upgrade to a new one, well, that's ok too.

I was just curious if this had happened to anyone else. I was truly shocked to have a problem at all. I did get the original ssd back, out of the shop's trash, although since I have never had a problem with a mac in my 10 years using 4 I've owned, I have no idea if it will cost me $$$ to find out if they can or can, maybe, fix it. It cost close to $3000 in spring of 2014, and wouldn't it figure, after my never once using the AppleCare I got on the first one, I didn't opt for Apple Care on this one. Sigh...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.