Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allymmpink

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
I am considering starting some professional style photo shoots, and i was wondering how it is that professional photographers connect their cameras to their computers during the photographic session for the photos to come up on their computer after they're taken... (i hope that made sense...)
What are the necessary cables and ect?
Thanks!

allymmpink

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
No yeah i understand connecting it to the computer and everything - i can do that through iPhoto, but while taking the photos, the photos appear on the screen. So it is literally taken, then sent, then the next one taken, then sent.
Again I apologise if this doesn't make sense, I am more of a video girl haha.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
What your after is called tethering. This can either be as a function of the photo software, for example Apple Aperture supports tethering of supported cameras, however I had a look at list of supported cameras and it looks mainly Canon or Nikon only, so this is probably no good for you. The camera manufactures may supply a tethering solution with their own tools. I know Canon does ( and I think Nikon as well), looks like from the first reply you have to buy the software from Olympus, Olympus Studio 2. The only Photo application that ships with all Macs as standard is iPhoto and this does not currently support tethering.

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
Yep, I am an Olympus user and Studio is the only way you can do it. I've looked everywhere and there is no way of doing it. There is a PC solution. I do not recall the name but you can check out the four thirds forums for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.