Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Hello, apologies if this is a bit simple.

Whenever I email any photos to my friends some of them complain they either can't open the photos or if they can then the image is squashed vertically.

I'm using mail as my email client, Leopard is the OS.

I attach them by clicking the attach button then finding the item (usually on the desktop) and attaching. the Windows friendly box is always ticked.

Can anyone help at all.

Best regards
Mark

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I can't see why emailing jpegs should cause a problem - they're fairly univeral. You might want to check your mail program and see if somewhere you have it set to automatically do something to the images, like re-size for email, rename, etc.

Also, on the Windows end... what are they using to view the jpegs? It really shouldn't matter since even browsers can open them up, and Windows handles jpegs just fine.

Make sure, though, that you have your files named with the .jpg extension or they probably won't be recognized at first until they are renamed in windows with the proper extension. Windows is pretty dumb that way, and relies on the file extension name to know how to handle a file.

That's all I can think of at the moment...

MelindaH

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Sydney Australia
I can't see why emailing jpegs should cause a problem - they're fairly univeral. You might want to check your mail program and see if somewhere you have it set to automatically do something to the images, like re-size for email, rename, etc.

Also, on the Windows end... what are they using to view the jpegs? It really shouldn't matter since even browsers can open them up, and Windows handles jpegs just fine.

Make sure, though, that you have your files named with the .jpg extension or they probably won't be recognized at first until they are renamed in windows with the proper extension. Windows is pretty dumb that way, and relies on the file extension name to know how to handle a file.

That's all I can think of at the moment...

Thank you pdxflint!

Tried all of that and tested by sending to my own pc - photos still appear squashed in recipients email.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Why not save them in a PDF or get your client to open them in another program like explorer.

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
This happens ALL the time

The only pattern I've seen is that emailing seems to work fine when I have used save for web in photoshop. A standard jpeg save from frodo will sometimes have funky issues like displaying negative.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Whenever I email any photos to my friends some of them complain they either can't open the photos or if they can then the image is squashed vertically.

Are you sending HTML formatted emails with the pictures inside the html pages. If so mmaybe an error in the html, not in the jpg file. try sending plain text format and see if the problem goes away

But maybe something is wrong with your JPG files. how are you creating them? Send me a PM and I'll give you my email address, if you email me a jpg I'll look at it. One simple test you can do is get a small jpg off the web that you do not modify and send that to some one. See if it is also is getting squashed

Q&A

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2008
Attachments in Outlook Express

Hi,
When I'm sending from 'Mail' any kind of photos to my friend's Outlook express he cannot open them or save them. Pictures are available to see in e-mail but he cannot do anything with them. He don't have any problems when someone else is sending the pictures from another PC. Could someone explain me how to fix that?

Thanks!:apple:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I think this may be an encoding issue of some kind. I recently had a similar problem sending a jpeg file, which I believe was exported from Photoshop on the Mac, to several people at once. Not everyone could view it. The file was still unviewable to these recipients when it was uploaded to my .Mac public folder, so Mail is not implicated nor is Outlook.

Q&A

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2008
Attachments in Outlook Express

Through iDisk he could open any file (we did it before), but the problem is still with Outlook. That is so strange that in mac Mail you have option 'send Windows friendly attachment' but it doesn't do what it supposed to.
Thank though you for answer!
Please, let me know if there is any other way.:apple:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I think it has nothing to do with "Windows friendly" attachments. The vast majority of my attachments work out just fine. The effect seems too random.

Q&A

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2008
Maybe I didn't mention that before that my "PC friend" can see files in e-mails. He just cannot save them somehow. I know that is strange. I think I will meet one of my friends with PC and try do something with Outlook's settings.
If I will find out something I will post it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.