Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zayaso

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Hello fellow modders,

I am having a problem and am seeking help. My systems specs are below:

Mid 2010 MP 5,1 w/ xeon 3.46 Ghz processors & 32 GB memory
Bay 1: Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB w/OS X 10.13.4, filesystem not listed, content Apple APFS
Bay 2: WD Black 3.5" 1TB w/OS X 10.13.4, filesystem Journaled HFS+ (RECENT ADDITION)
Bay 3: WD 1.5 TB scratch disk; filesystem Journaled HFS+
Bay 4: Samsung 840 EVO 250MB w/Win 7 (bootcamp), filesystem NTFS
1 DVD/CD Optical drive in upper bay
1 slimfactor external power supply in lower bay of DVD/CD area for my GTX 1080 Ti
1 GTX 1080 Ti in PCIE slot 1, unflashed
1 Apricorn Velocity Solo X2 card in PCIE slot 4 (currently empty, no SSD's attached)

What I am trying to accomplish is to be able to boot back into OS X from my Windows 7 bootcamp partition.

To be fair, I've experienced what I consider two major problems with my Samsung SSD's in the last two months; which is why I have Bay 2 occupied with 3.5" WD drive with OS X on it.

My setup was working fine until two months ago, when my Win 7 SSD got hung up terribly, refused to boot and I had to slide in my GT120 video card execute Apple boot options to get back into my OS X. I removed all the hard drives, Apricorn and GTX1080 except my OS X in Bay 1, and was able to get back into my system. Promptly executed Time Machine and have been doing it every week. I then ran into a problem with my Samsung SSD in Bay1 four weeks later and to minimize damage, I bought the 3.5" WD drive currently occupying Bay 2. I was able to download Apple OS off the net and upgrade Bay 2 all the way to 10.13.4, added drive Bay 1 back to verify if data was corrupted, it was not, and was able to reboot back into my Samsung 840 in Bay 1. (Yes I ran disk util on all the drives)

Ran that way for the last two weeks until this past weekend, when I started troubleshooting and putting the rest of the parts back and my Win 7. All systems normal, able to boot into OS X in Bay 1; restart system using Windows 7 bootcamp; boot into Win 7, and then I try to use bootcamp to restart back into OS X. The bootcamp application recognizes my drive in Bay 2, but not my drive in Bay 1- my primary SSD.
I have to bootcamp restart to Bay 2 and then do a restart again to get to my drive in Bay 1.

Anyone know why? I listed the filesystem types on purpose to provide as much data as possible up front.
The amount of time spent now troubleshooting, reading forum threads, etc, with nothing working is upsetting me- hence my post. I hope someone can help and shed light on this, I thought it might be an AHCI issue as Bay 1 and Bay 2 drives are newer than the original system drives, but I'm not sure. My MP does bootcamp back from Win 7 to OS X in Bay 2 and that drive is less than 2 months old at this point.

I followed this post years back:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dual-boot-confirmed-for-new-apricorn-velocity-duo-x2.1721573/

and read this over the weekend:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/problems-with-booting-apple-ssubx-ssd-on-pcie-adapter.2045689/

and this one too:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...a-driver-in-windows-xp-vista-and-win7.760482/

Side notes here, additional info for consideration, to add context/flavor so to speak, but not answer:
1. I DO NOT necessarily need the bootcamp as I do not game in Windows, but rather, sometimes it is just easier to do Windows work in a Windows OS vs through VMWare Fusion. So if at the end of this, the consensus ends up being if you don't need the bootcamp 7 partition and just move to Fusion- I might do that- the amount of time spent on my part trying to address this is illogical.
2. Yes I am using Win 7; I don't feel a need to upgrade Windows at this time; I tried going to Win 10 and it failed miserably for me, and I reverted back to Win 7- hopefully that removes that topic from future answers.
3. Initially my Apricorn card was working for 3-4 yrs. and started giving me issues 1 1/2 yrs ago so I slotted Win 7 into Bay 4. I left the Apricorn card in the chassis trying to find firmware updates, or newer Intel AHCI drivers that I thought might fix the non-boot back to OS X-with no luck. Destined for ebay perhaps.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Bootcamp Utility in Windows doesn’t seem to be able to target APFS disks properly. If you reconfigure your SSD to HFS+, you should be good to go. This would also be why you can boot off your spinning drive, which is HFS+

Reactions: thornslack

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Avoid APFS, then you can be a happy Mac user again.

I am also running a non flashed 1080Ti. Also dual boot macOS 10.13.4 (HFS+) and Windows 10 (legacy). No problem at all.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thank you both Darmok N Jalad and H9826790.
Should I follow Yosemitesam instructions posted here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-5-1-ssd-intern-high-sierra-hfs.2116997/#post-26025255

I performed a time machine backup of my Samsung SSD OS X today; and have no problem erasing /reformatting the drive

Using CCC clone should be faster (even if you already has TM backup), but nothing wrong to use time machine either. Another advantage of using the clone method is virtually zero down time. You can keep using your Mac when the cloning is doing in the background.

And you don't need to make that so complicated. That guild is for fresh HFS+ HS installation on a SSD.

Since you don't need a clean installation.

Simply make sure you have backup, clone the current OS to another drive. Format the SSD back to HFS+, and then clone it back to the SSD is good enough.

zayaso

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Using CCC clone should be faster (even if you already has TM backup), but nothing wrong to use time machine either. Another advantage of using the clone method is virtually zero down time. You can keep using your Mac when the cloning is doing in the background.

I did this and solved all my problems.
I followed all the other guides and no matter what I did my SSD would always end up with APFS format...
CCC clone from a spinner HDD with 10.13 already installed, SSD formatted with HFS+; copied over, and did TM restore to SSD and maintained HFS+ format. Happy mac user again:) !
Thank you all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.