Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hupalmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
Anyone else in a muddle with larger capacity SD cards? I can't get my brand new macbook to recognise a 2GB SD card (made by Pretec, which seems to be a fairly respected brand) when connected by a Belkin 15in1 card reader, whereas it will recognise a slow 1GB sandisk card. At present, I have to connect the camera, which although it is the very newest Panasonic compact (LX2), is rated as a USB1.1 connection, which gives me an eye-watering speed of 42 minutes to transfer my pictures... because the Belkin reader was 9 months old i bought a new reader made by Transcend, which didn't help at all, won't even register on the macbook when I slot in a CF card...any suggestions?
Hugh

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Welcome to the hell of things not being quite standard.

Your problem may lie with the reader.

My 2gb SD cards are not recognized by my Epson CX6400, but are recognized by my Epson PictureMate. Add to that, I needed an update to my Epson P-2000 in order for it to read 2GB SD cards - have not tested it with 4gb cards so far.

garfield2002

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2003
Try both of the readers and cards on another machine, even a PC if you have one. If you can get the card and reader to work it might be a driver problem specific to your Macbook. I had a similar problem with a SanDisk reader and two 256MB Viking CF cards. One would read just fine and the other would not mount. SanDisk was apparently aware of this issue but never offered any fix. Good luck. :)

hupalmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
found it!

thanks for the suggestions and cautions. I carried on switching and experimenting, eventually found a sandisk 5 in 1 xd/sd card reader of recent manufacture which does the fast transfer without a problem..
all best
Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.