Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
Hi all,

I have been having problems with Aperture 3. When attempting to upgrade my managed files library from Aperture 2 > Ap 3, the process continually runs out of disk space, freezes and you have no option but to restart Aperture.

It appears that the software has been built as such that it needs the same amount of space on the hard drive it's installed on, as the size of the library it's trying to convert.

For example, I have a 96Gb managed masters library stored on an external HD. Aperture 3 is installed on my MBP internal HD. When attempting to convert the files Aperture wants to use 96Gb on the internal HD. Now the drive is only 120Gb to start with, then there is all the stuff on there for other programs as well. Plus documents etc.
As the internal HD does not have 96Gb free, I am unable to upgrade the library.

I am, it appears stuck with this issue with no way of updating the library until Apple release a fix of some kind. I am not alone in this issue either. The discussions.apple.com site has many reports of the same from other people.

I just wanted to let you all know, before someone else runs into a similar issue. I would recommend that you stick with Aperture 2 until a workaround or fix is found. I hope this helps someone.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
I'm having the exact same problem. Frustrating as hell. Wish I had waited on installing the upgarde. Aperture is useless to me right now. Freezes up every time I try to use it.:mad:

mrtrilby

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
I sort of had that issue because I wanted to import my existing AP2 library into a new AP3 library, and didn't have enough space. I got around it by relocating my managed files to become referenced files in my Pictures folder. It makes your library a whole lot smaller and more manageable. I'll worry about the permanent home for the images once I've finished re-organising my libraries.

I suspect you will be waiting a long time for Apple to 'fix' that issue because I suspect it is a "by design" feature.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I use all referenced masters (700GB of them) and wanted to share that Aperture does not have problems with the internal HD (mine is 250GB) if you upgrade with referenced masters (ie it is not looking for 700GB free on my internal hdd) so I think if you have a 96GB to store them temporarily on an external hdd for you will not have problems and then you can re-import them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.