Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinmcq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2019
I've had this iMac since new and finally decided to upgrade the memory. It came with two of the four slots filled with 2GB RAM and I recently purchased 4 x 4GB cards to replace.

Following the advice of the store, I first added 2x4GB to the existing cards and turned on to check all was fine - it was. I then checked the other 2x4GB, also with the original cards and again all worked. When I then added all 4x4GB together, however, the iMac fails to start up and emits the single beeping noise a few seconds apart - suggesting a problem with the RAM.

I've double checked they're inserted correctly and that there's no one 'bad card'. I also was careful with static, etc. The iMac is currently working fine with 14GB (3x4GB and 1x2GB), just won't go up to 16GB. I could live with this, but just frustrating - and also means I don't have horizontal matching slots (2x2GB plus 2x4GB) which there seems some debate whether this matters. I've attached the current state for info.

Reading some older forums, I've tried holding CMD+option+P+R on startup, but this doesn't seem to register. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated...

Thanks.
K

About.png
RAM upgrade info.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.