Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felicis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Hi,
I have this error when trying to install MacOS Catalina on my mac air (min 2012).
Can someone advise me what i should do to overcome this error - Error Mounting installESD image.
I dont know how to mount InstallESD.dmg using Disk Utility. Please refer to the error attached.

I download the patches from dosdude1.com/catalina/
Is this the right side to install catalina or you have any suggestion?

Thanks, Felicis

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 8.29.49 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 8.29.49 PM.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 2,367
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 7.22.49 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 7.22.49 PM.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 1,384
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 5.39.02 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 5.39.02 PM.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 991
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 11.37.13 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 11.37.13 AM.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 939
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 11.36.41 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 11.36.41 AM.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 1,050

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
OK...
Your mid-2012 MBAir will install Catalina natively. There's no need for the patched installer that the dosdude Catalina Patcher app provides.
All you need is the downloaded full installer for Catalina. Just quit the patcher app when the Catalina installer downloads. No need to continue with the "patching" part.
Create a bootable installer on an external drive, like a 16GB USB flash drive.
It's not hard to do that from your terminal:
Make installer bootable on flash drive:

Insert your USB flash drive (use a 16GB flash drive for this). Erase that thumb drive, using your Disk Utility. Make sure it is formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled), and the partition Map is "GUID"

The Catalina installer app (Install macOS Catalina) should be in your Applications folder.

Right click on that installer app, and choose "Show Package Contents". Open the Library, then open the "Resources" folder. Leave that alone for a moment...

Launch your Terminal app, then type sudo, and add a single space.

From the Resources folder that you left open, drag the file "createinstallmedia" and drop it on your terminal window. You will see the full path to that file appear next to sudo.

Next, type --volume, and add one space to that. (notice there are TWO dashes, not just one)

Now, find the icon for your flash drive (the one you just erased. Should be on your desktop somewhere). Drag that icon into the terminal window. You will see that disk, with its path, added to the line you have been typing.

AND, press enter. You will be asked to enter your admin password. Do that, you will NOT see what you type (it's a security feature, just type your password, then press enter. It will work.

Finally, the terminal will ask you to press "y" to start the command that you just typed, so type Y, and press enter.

Then, you will see some numbers appear, showing the progress of the command. Some flash drives will be slow, maybe 30 minutes. It will get to 100%, then do a few final items to complete the installer and make it bootable. And, it's ready to go!

Felicis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
sorry where shall i go to download this "full installer for Catalina."?

Last edited:

Felicis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
OK...
Your mid-2012 MBAir will install Catalina natively. There's no need for the patched installer that the dosdude Catalina Patcher app provides.
All you need is the downloaded full installer for Catalina. Just quit the patcher app when the Catalina installer downloads. No need to continue with the "patching" part.
Create a bootable installer on an external drive, like a 16GB USB flash drive.
It's not hard to do that from your terminal:

i redo and it does not give me the password or show the percent.. see attached. does that mean okie?

i still have the same error of - Error Mounting installESD image when doing "Create Bootable Installer"

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 12.44.34 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 12.44.34 PM.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

Felicis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
If i don't continue the macOS Catalina Patcher.dmg, I click on Install macOS Catalina, it said "this application required OSX 10.9 or later"

Damn Apple. which OS do i need to install? why Apple makes it so complicated to install just an OS.

Please advise. thanks

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 1.11.00 PM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 1.11.00 PM (2).jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 520
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 1.29.31 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 1.29.31 PM.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:

Felicis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
I am really pissed... What Damn OS version that Apple wants me to install? Now I cannot ever boot up.. it just go looping in a circle of the restart, installs error .. restarts install
after trying to install that OS X EI Capitan!! all from App Store.

HELP!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 1.35.13 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 1.35.13 PM.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 439
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 1.40.44 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-12 at 1.40.44 PM.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, you can't update to Catalina from your existing system (which appears to be OS X 10.7.5 Lion) That's too far. you would need to update to an intermediate system first, such as Yosemite or El Capitan.
But, it's easier to simply use that downloaded Catalina installer to make an external bootable drive as the installer.
Follow the steps to do that from your terminal -
Make installer bootable on flash drive:
Insert your USB flash drive (use a 16GB flash drive for this). Erase that thumb drive, using your Disk Utility. Make sure it is formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled), and the partition Map is "GUID"

The Catalina installer app (Install macOS Catalina) should be in your Applications folder.

Right click on that installer app, and choose "Show Package Contents". Open the Library, then open the "Resources" folder. Leave that alone for a moment...

Launch your Terminal app, then type sudo, and add a single space.

From the Resources folder that you left open, drag the file "createinstallmedia" and drop it on your terminal window. You will see the full path to that file appear next to sudo.

Next, type --volume, and add one space to that. (notice there are TWO dashes, not just one)

Now, find the icon for your flash drive (the one you just erased. Should be on your desktop somewhere). Drag that icon into the terminal window. You will see that disk, with its path, added to the line you have been typing.

AND, press enter. You will be asked to enter your admin password. Do that, you will NOT see what you type (it's a security feature, just type your password, then press enter. It will work.

Finally, the terminal will ask you to press "y" to start the command that you just typed, so type Y, and press enter.

Then, you will see some numbers appear, showing the progress of the command. Some flash drives will be slow, maybe 30 minutes. It will get to 100%, then do a few final items to complete the installer and make it bootable. And, it's ready to go!
Boot to THAT installer, and install Catalina.
Done.
(Keep a full backup of your existing drive before you begin the install, just in case it doesn't work out the first time!)

magicMOUSE1999

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
Inglese

mentre aggiorno mac os catalina patcher ho installato la versione 10.15.3 e volevo aggiornare a 10.15.4 ma non mi dà l'aggiornamento e la patch da installare per più di un mese
[automerge]1586759173[/automerge]
Volevo sapere come aggiornare Mac OS Patcher senza dover riformattare il PC

Felicis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Yes, you can't update to Catalina from your existing system (which appears to be OS X 10.7.5 Lion) That's too far. you would need to update to an intermediate system first, such as Yosemite or El Capitan.
But, it's easier to simply use that downloaded Catalina installer to make an external bootable drive as the installer.
Done.
(Keep a full backup of your existing drive before you begin the install, just in case it doesn't work out the first time!)

I try to make backup rebootable disk but fail with error on that thumb drive.
I try clone my mac pro - (APFX- Mojave OS ) onto external HDD and when i tried to boot from that OS from external, there is no option for me to select (Boot from Option key).. just struck here

Done.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What was the error that you got when you tried to create the bootable installer on your thumb drive? (I do this several times a week, so I may have a fix for most errors - might be a simple one :cool: )

How did you make your backup to your external drive? Time Machine? Carbon Copy Cloner? Some other method?

Felicis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
What was the error that you got when you tried to create the bootable installer on your thumb drive? (I do this several times a week, so I may have a fix for most errors - might be a simple one :cool: )

How did you make your backup to your external drive? Time Machine? Carbon Copy Cloner? Some other method?
here is the error when I make a copy of the external bootable installer on a thumb drive in which the format is extended ..
Currently, I can no longer boot up my mac in OS X 10.7.5 Lion, it all empty, I dint not backup that OS.

I try to clone my mac pro OS on to HDD (format as AFPX) and use that to boot up my mac air, But when I hold the option to power on, that option does not appear for me to select

Attachments

• Bootable ext disc on thumbdrive error.jpg
    Bootable ext disc on thumbdrive error.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 414
  • OS X error missing component.jpg
    OS X error missing component.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 462

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You do NOT need to use the Catalina Patcher app to create the bootable installer, because your 2012 MBAir does NOT need the patched installer that the "Patcher" app creates. The only reason that you would use the Catalina Patcher app is to download the installer. When you get to the "Create Bootable Installer screen", you can just Quit the Patcher app. You have what you need. I would suggest that you should download the Catalina install again, just to make sure that the copy that you have is not damaged somehow.
Follow the steps that I posted in post #2 above. Do NOT use the patcher app to create the bootable USB installer. The steps that I posted WILL work. I use those same steps several times each week. They are simple steps, and, if done correctly, will leave you with a working, bootable installer for Catalina.

Felicis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
You do NOT need to use the Catalina Patcher app to create the bootable installer, because your 2012 MBAir does NOT need the patched installer that the "Patcher" app creates. The only reason that you would use the Catalina Patcher app is to download the installer. When you get to the "Create Bootable Installer screen", you can just Quit the Patcher app. You have what you need. I would suggest that you should download the Catalina install again, just to make sure that the copy that you have is not damaged somehow.
Follow the steps that I posted in post #2 above. Do NOT use the patcher app to create the bootable USB installer. The steps that I posted WILL work. I use those same steps several times each week. They are simple steps, and, if done correctly, will leave you with a working, bootable installer for Catalina.

but right now the mac air is not booting up. i cannot download the Catalina and install.
Can you let me know where shall i download the Catalina (can you let me know the link to download, pls)? can i download it into a thumbdrive and then boot catalina installer from thumbdrive?
[automerge]1587134262[/automerge]
but right now the mac air is not booting up. i cannot download the Catalina and install.
Can you let me know where shall i download the Catalina (can you let me know the link to download, pls)? can i download it into a thumbdrive and then boot catalina installer from thumbdrive?

my mac air's OS is gone and is blank.. cannot startup.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You should be able install a system on your MacBook Air through internet recovery (restart with Option-Command-R)
That might offer you a system as old as Lion, or maybe even do a Catalina install - if Catalina has ever been installed on that MBAir. Or, some other system, maybe whatever is the last macOS system that you had installed on that MBAir.

Felicis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
You should be able to install a system on your MacBook Air through internet recovery (restart with Option-Command-R)
That might offer you a system as old as Lion, or maybe even do a Catalina install - if Catalina has ever been installed on that MBAir. Or, some other system, maybe whatever is the last macOS system that you had installed on that MBAir.

I have this error now when installing lion. I tried installing this lion ver on the exterior harddisk is still stuck with the same error
I have attached the error log here for your reference. Kindly advise me on how to solve this. thanks

Attachments

• 20200418_000327.jpg
    20200418_000327.jpg
    807.1 KB · Views: 412
  • 20200418_014020.jpg
    20200418_014020.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 329
  • Installer Log 17-Apr-2020.txt
    30.1 KB · Views: 218
  • Installer Log 17-Apr-2020 all.txt
    31 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

Kevokatso

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2020
Hello please can someone help me, I have a late 2011 2.3 i7 MacBookpro. I have high sierra on it. Download the patcher then followed these steps
  1. boot using Command + s
  2. manually type nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00and run it
  3. manually type nvram boot-args="-v" and run it
  4. reboot
  5. boot using Command + r (this time it boots fine, no grey screen)
  6. disable SIP: manually type csrutil disable and run it
  7. manually type nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00and run it
  8. manually type nvram boot-args="-v" and run it
  9. reboot
  10. boot using Command + s
  11. manually type /sbin/mount -uw / and run it
  12. manually type mkdir -p /System/Library/Extensions-off and run it
  13. manually type mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext /System/Library/Extensions-off/ and run it
  14. manually type touch /System/Library/Extensions/ and run it
  15. reboot
Won’t let me download booter to flash drive says something about unable to download on 10.4.5. I erased the flash drive with guid and mounted it still says cant download on 10.4.5

Can anyone please help me revert changes I made in terminal or help me with download? now the graphics looks worse than before it seems like
[automerge]1588007263[/automerge]
Hello please can someone help me, I have a late 2011 2.3 i7 MacBookpro. I have high sierra on it. Download the patcher then followed these steps
  2. manually type nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00and run it
  4. reboot
  7. manually type nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00and run it
  9. reboot
  13. manually type mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext /System/Library/Extensions-off/ and run it
  15. reboot
Won’t let me download booter to flash drive says something about unable to download on 10.4.5. I erased the flash drive with guid and mounted it still says cant download on 10.4.5

Can anyone please help me revert changes I made in terminal or help me with download? now the graphics looks worse than before it seems like

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
  4. reboot
  9. reboot
  15. reboot

The message is telling you that you can't download the software when you are booted to 10.4.5. I think that much of what you are doing won't work on that old system (OS X 10.4.5)
What system are you actually using? If it is actually 10.13.5 (not the 10.4.5 that you suggested) then you probably need to do the small update to make it 10.13.6
But, now you have made some changes to your existing system (I think), and the BEST way forward is now to go back to your previous, working system.
Get you most recent backup (and you should make a full backup as a first step, when doing a patched system upgrade like this).
If your backup is available, erase your partly-patched drive, then restore from your backup.
If you don't have a current backup, then boot to your High Sierra installer drive, and reinstall High Sierra. That should reset your system, removing your attempted patches, and get your High Sierra system working properly again.
(This is one of those times that you will be glad that you made that bootable High Sierra installer, eh?)

Last edited:

Kevokatso

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2020
I reinstall high Sierra and that seemed to fix everything but now I think its called in verbose mode, every time the computer restarts it the terminal screen pop ups and you can see everything loading..anyway to fix that? Thanks you so much too. I actually was running with 10.13.6 so im not sure why it didn't work. If I want to give it another shot do you have any tips I have high 10.13.16 late 2011 MacBook Pro i7. Thanks so much again please let me know if you could help me with this update and the verbose mode

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.