Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackenmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2020
Hello.

Both my fn (function/globe key) work, and the function keys (F1-F12) work. The first one works by creating a shortcut for emojis, while the latter works by adjusting volume, brightness, etc.

However, when wanting to access to F1, F2, etc, by holding the fn-key, while also pressing one of the function keys (F1-F12), this all of a sudden doesn't work.

It has always worked before. I have for instance used this for header-shortcuts in Pages. Now all of a sudden it doesn't work, and an "error sound" appears instead.

What could be the reason, and how can this be fixed?

19veeper42

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2022
Hello.

Both my fn (function/globe key) work, and the function keys (F1-F12) work. The first one works by creating a shortcut for emojis, while the latter works by adjusting volume, brightness, etc.

However, when wanting to access to F1, F2, etc, by holding the fn-key, while also pressing one of the function keys (F1-F12), this all of a sudden doesn't work.

It has always worked before. I have for instance used this for header-shortcuts in Pages. Now all of a sudden it doesn't work, and an "error sound" appears instead.

I have exactly the same issue and it applies across all three Mac computers in our house. I thought it had to do with Ventura, but it affects my imac as well, which has not been updated.

19veeper42

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2022
Hello.

One suggestion I found was to go into Library and delete the keyboard plist. I did that, but it did not help. The inability to use the customized shortcuts in Pages with f keys makes the application all but useless. I wonder what would happen if you deleted the Pages application and then redownloaded it.

ruimteraket

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2022
Pages 12.2 (Oct 25, 2022) seems to have broken fn-key shortcuts support. I have another machine running Pages 12.1 (June 21, 2022) that does not have this problem. I've blocked App Store updates on this machine for the time being. It's times like these that the inability to downgrade App Store apps becomes very frustrating.

19veeper42

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2022
Pages 12.2 (Oct 25, 2022) seems to have broken fn-key shortcuts support. I have another machine running Pages 12.1 (June 21, 2022) that does not have this problem. I've blocked App Store updates on this machine for the time being. It's times like these that the inability to downgrade App Store apps becomes very frustrating.
Thanks. Thank you. I bloody well hope someone there corrects this soon. I've tried to let them know.

willb1414

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2022
I'm so glad I found this thread and that it's not just my computer becoming too old. I've tried to let them know too but when I reported it through the Apple website they didn't have the most recent updates as an option in the drop-down lists, so I hope they read the comments where I stated that it's only the most recent versions for me. I have the fn shortcuts fine-tuned in Pages for studying and this issue is really ruining my flow!

19veeper42

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2022
I'm so glad I found this thread and that it's not just my computer becoming too old. I've tried to let them know too but when I reported it through the Apple website they didn't have the most recent updates as an option in the drop-down lists, so I hope they read the comments where I stated that it's only the most recent versions for me. I have the fn shortcuts fine-tuned in Pages for studying and this issue is really ruining my flow!
Vex is a polite word I would use to describe the negligence at work. I don't compose on Pages. I write everything out long hand, and probably compose several thousand words a day. Fine-tuning is exactly the right term; and yes, it really screws up your flow. I do hope they appreciate how important this feature is.

19veeper42

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2022
Hello.

I found a solution. The problem is with Pages 12.2. I went into Time Machine and restored Pages 12.1. If you have backups, go back to June or July of 2022 and select Pages. Get info to determine the version. If it 12.1, you should be OK

ruimteraket

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2022
Happy to report that this issue was fixed in a point update (Pages 12.2.1, released late November). These things happen. Modern programs are complex and bugs show up at the weirdest of places. I understand that Apple doesn't just send out hot fixes on a daily basis, and aggregates these things into a single point update.

My main gripe is the inability to downgrade App Store apps to deal with these unavoidable issues. Time Machine backups can be a solution here, as @19veeper42 pointed out, but many of us use online backup services like Backblaze, which don't back up the Applications folder -- or don't use any whole-system backup system to begin with. Users differ in their degree of sophistication.

Ideally, a user has the ability to downgrade to an earlier working version, for whatever reason. The App Store has made this impossible.

Reactions: auxbuss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.