Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
ok ive been pretty confused about whats been happening to alot of my pictures. Here is my current workflow. I open the raw images in photoshop and do a little sharpening. Then do a little editing if i need to then run noiseware. After that I save the file as a 16bit tiff then import the tiff file into lightroom where i convert to jpeg. The promblem I am having is when I open the file after all of this to view it the pictures looks blurry but if you zoom in just a little it gets sharp again. Am I doing something to cause this? Any advice is very welcome bc I am still very confused on why this is happening.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Well, for starters, sharpening is the very last thing you should do to a photo. I don't quite understand why you're taking the TIFF back into Lightroom just to make a JPEG. If it's a JPEG you want, why not save it out from Photoshop that way?

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Why don't you import images directly into Lightroom, and then "Edit in...Photoshop"? That way Lightroom keeps track of all of the versions of the image for you, while preserving the RAW.

Phras is right... Sharpening should be the last step.

Is all you use lightroom for is converting to JPEG?

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Why don't you import images directly into Lightroom, and then "Edit in...Photoshop"? That way Lightroom keeps track of all of the versions of the image for you, while preserving the RAW.

Phras is right... Sharpening should be the last step.

Is all you use lightroom for is converting to JPEG?

right now that is all im using lightroom for. I used to use it for keeping track of all my photos but ive come to realize that im not a big fan of lightroom and prefer adobe bridge over it. The reason ive been using it to convert to jpeg was because I had a plugin on it for making a watermark on my pictures when i converted it to jpeg. But ive grown out of the whole watermark thing and now im just still using it to convert to jpeg. I guess I could use photoshop for that but I had a problem with it where it wasnt letting me save my tiff files as jpegs. Maybe it was just something I was overlooking but whenever I chose file save as the option just isnt there. Is there another way im supposed to be doing it?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
right now that is all im using lightroom for. I used to use it for keeping track of all my photos but ive come to realize that im not a big fan of lightroom and prefer adobe bridge over it. The reason ive been using it to convert to jpeg was because I had a plugin on it for making a watermark on my pictures when i converted it to jpeg. But ive grown out of the whole watermark thing and now im just still using it to convert to jpeg. I guess I could use photoshop for that but I had a problem with it where it wasnt letting me save my tiff files as jpegs. Maybe it was just something I was overlooking but whenever I chose file save as the option just isnt there. Is there another way im supposed to be doing it?

Check to make sure your files are 8-bit before saving to JPEG in Photoshop. Go to Image-->Mode-->8 Bits/Channel.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
After that I save the file as a 16bit tiff then import the tiff file into lightroom where i convert to jpeg.

The promblem I am having is when I open the file after all of this to view it the pictures looks blurry but if you zoom in just a little it gets sharp again. Am I doing something to cause this? Any advice is very welcome bc I am still very confused on why this is happening.

Many programs show you a quick low-res jpeg and then show the rest, especially if it's a progressive one, if you give it a couple of seconds it should resolve further detail.

convert to jpeg. I guess I could use photoshop for that but I had a problem with it where it wasnt letting me save my tiff files as jpegs. Maybe it was just something I was overlooking but whenever I chose file save as the option just isnt there. Is there another way im supposed to be doing it?

JPEGs can only be 8-bit, so you have to convert your 16-bit TIFF to 8-bits before you can save as JPEG.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Check to make sure your files are 8-bit before saving to JPEG in Photoshop. Go to Image-->Mode-->8 Bits/Channel.

Will I lose a lot of image quality going this route? The only reason I convert to jpeg is to upload my picutes to flickr. Are there any other presets I should use to do this?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Will I lose a lot of image quality going this route? The only reason I convert to jpeg is to upload my picutes to flickr. Are there any other presets I should use to do this?

There is no way (as far as I know) to put a 16-Bit image on Flickr; it has to be JPEG, which has to be 8-Bit. If you are using Photoshop's raw module to process your photos, then you have the choice of the file opening as an 8-Bit image right out of the module (click the long "link" below the photo to set this option) or else use the Image-->Mode option once you're done making further adjustments in Photoshop. I use the latter method myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.