Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OBECALPER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2023
Virginia
Just downloaded latest Ventura and Safari on two 2023 M1 MacBooks. Now both have crackling coming from internal speakers. Swell. Cannot find any useful info online and Apple chat was useless. Diagnostics were fine. Has anyone had this problem and a fix?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
which macbooks are these? airs? (the 2023 models have the M2 chip).

anyway, no crackling here. check your sound settings, perhaps check in the audio/midi app as well (on my air, i see '44k, 6 channel 32-bit float)'.

also, have you tried rebooting? and are you using any 'custom' audio apps? (i use boom 3D for it's eq).

OBECALPER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2023
Virginia
One Pro M1 and one Air M1, both bought first week in January, 2023. No custom apps of any kind. Reboot of both Safari and Ventura works for a little bit...a few hours. Have not gone anywhere near the audio/midi app...does this app have a default setting after my download such that I do not need to think about it. We use these devices for very basic operations and have no additional apps added or extensions, for that matter. So, in a sense, the devices are "virgin" after the downloads.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
One Pro M1 and one Air M1, both bought first week in January, 2023. No custom apps of any kind. Reboot of both Safari and Ventura works for a little bit...a few hours. Have not gone anywhere near the audio/midi app...does this app have a default setting after my download such that I do not need to think about it. We use these devices for very basic operations and have no additional apps added or extensions, for that matter. So, in a sense, the devices are "virgin" after the downloads.
ok, not 2023 macs (just bought in 2023). it's happening with both with the built-in speakers? and after rebooting both macs, it's ok... for a 'few hours'?

odd that it's happening to both macs. perhaps call apple (these are, after all, new purchases), and they can take a look...

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Backup, erase and do a clean install of MacOS without adding any additional software to see if the issue is present or not. If the issue goes away then it's a software conflict otherwise if it remains then likely hardware issue. Knock on wood but I've never had that particular issue on Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
really, i'd call apple, see if you can get it sorted before you do all that on both macs (especially if that doesn't resolve the issue)..

OBECALPER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2023
Virginia
really, i'd call apple, see if you can get it sorted before you do all that on both macs (especially if that doesn't resolve the issue)..
Thanks to all.

mi7chy

recommendation, while appreciated, is above my pay grade and a bit daunting for me.
Call to Apple last Friday resulted in speaking to an ESL from St. Elsewhere who could not help (I'm afraid that is baseline nowadays) so scheduled me with an Apple Store 3 hours away. I'm trying to avoid the trek. I ran diagnostics on both machines which came up clean. I wonder if the newest Safari I downloaded cold be involved?

OBECALPER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2023
Virginia
Backup, erase and do a clean install of MacOS without adding any additional software to see if the issue is present or not. If the issue goes away then it's a software conflict otherwise if it remains then likely hardware issue. Knock on wood but I've never had that particular issue on Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura.
Which OS? I have also had no such problems over the 20 yrs of running a Mac household. This is vexing!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Thanks to all.

mi7chy

recommendation, while appreciated, is above my pay grade and a bit daunting for me.
Call to Apple last Friday resulted in speaking to an ESL from St. Elsewhere who could not help (I'm afraid that is baseline nowadays) so scheduled me with an Apple Store 3 hours away. I'm trying to avoid the trek. I ran diagnostics on both machines which came up clean. I wonder if the newest Safari I downloaded cold be involved?
call again. i've had really-good experiences with apple support on the phone (and thru screen-sharing). certainly worth a try before you do the 'long haul'......

EDIT: is this happening with all music sources? ie Music, any other apps, as well as safari? and from different sites?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.