Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinguzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2018
Hello, I have a problem with uncompressing .zip file. I compressed some files before formatting my Mac. Now, when I copied it back from my external drive I can't uncompress them. While doing it a window with "Can't uncompress file XXX to YYY (Error 63 – file name too long)" appeared (it may not be exactly like this because I translated it by myself).

What should I do to uncompress it?

Sorry for my English. I hope you understood my problem.
Thanks in advance.

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Hello, I have a problem with uncompressing .zip file. I compressed some files before formatting my Mac. Now, when I copied it back from my external drive I can't uncompress them. While doing it a window with "Can't uncompress file XXX to YYY (Error 63 – file name too long)" appeared (it may not be exactly like this because I translated it by myself).

What should I do to uncompress it?

Sorry for my English. I hope you understood my problem.
Thanks in advance.

What program do you use to unzip? Have you tried to use the unzip-program from the Terminal (unzip /path/to/file)? Have you tried to rename the file to a shorter name?

pinguzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2018
What program do you use to unzip? Have you tried to use the unzip-program from the Terminal (unzip /path/to/file)? Have you tried to rename the file to a shorter name?

I used basic Mac tool and The Unarchiver. I haven't used terminal. Can you explain to me how should I use it? I'm a newbie here.

I haven't tried to rename it because I think it's a problem with file inside. My .zip name is 4 letter long.

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
I used basic Mac tool and The Unarchiver. I haven't used terminal. Can you explain to me how should I use it? I'm a newbie here.

I haven't tried to rename it because I think it's a problem with file inside. My .zip name is 4 letter long.

Follow the bellow instructions to unzip the file with the unzip tool. All commands are case sensitive.
  1. Open Terminal.
  2. Type in 'unzip' (without quotes) followed by a space.
  3. Drag your file behind unzip inside the terminal.
  4. Press enter.
  5. Type 'pwd', followed by pressing enter, to find out where the file got saved.

The unziped file will then most likely be stored in /Users/YourUserName. Use Finder to find it.

pinguzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2018
Follow the bellow instructions to unzip the file with the unzip tool. All commands are case sensitive.
  1. Open Terminal.
  2. Type in 'unzip' (without quotes) followed by a space.
  3. Drag your file behind unzip inside the terminal.
  4. Press enter.
  5. Type 'pwd', followed by pressing enter, to find out where the file got saved.

The unziped file will then most likely be stored in /Users/YourUserName. Use Finder to find it.

It worked :) Thanks a lot. You saved 3 years of my studies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.