Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkjohnnie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2021
Annapolis, MD
I updated my 2018 MacBook to Safari 15, and now Safari is really slow. Every other app is fine, it’s just Safari. Websites load at normal speeds, but anytime I click anything, it takes a few seconds for Safari to respond. My battery is also draining incredibly fast while using Safari, and the computer feels very hot. I’ve quit and reopened Safari, and restarted my computer, but it didn’t help.

Has anyone else had this problem after the new Safari update? Has anyone found a way to fix it?

Reactions: Metatone

Metatone

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
Yes, 2016 MBP here and Safari constantly at 100% CPU even with all windows closed and all extensions disabled

TECreasey

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2014
I am seeing high Memory usage in Safari. Activity Monitor is telling me that currently, my forums.macrumors.com tab is using 1.13GB.

mkjohnnie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2021
Annapolis, MD
Still having trouble here - anyone found a fix?
After chatting with apple support, I ended up having to reinstall macOS. That reverted Safari back to version 14, which has been working normally. I haven’t tried updating back to Safari 15 because I’m guessing the same problem would recur.

Modernape

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
After chatting with apple support, I ended up having to reinstall macOS. That reverted Safari back to version 14, which has been working normally. I haven’t tried updating back to Safari 15 because I’m guessing the same problem would recur.
Just tried doing this today, because Safari 15.1 is still not working smoothly (Google search not loading fully, Tab overview crashing), but since the update to 11.6.1 Recovery now only offers to reinstall Monterey! AHH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.