Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
I have finally taken the plunge and bought a imac!
However because of problems I'd heard I didn't buy Photoshop with it. I'm used to connecting my digital camera by usb to my pc, opening photoshop and saying download images. I then decide how big to save the file as, not the pc! If I use Iphoto, the mac seems to be importing my photos that are normally 17 mb as 2mb. I have worked out if I export to the library I can change the file type, which converts the 2mb to 17mb as it should be. But it still stays at only 72dpi, I'm used to my images being automatically 300dpi

Can anyone stop me pulling my hair out and explain to this simpleton the simplest way to get the images off my digital camera, that keeps the original file size (approx 17mb) and has a dpi of 300?
:eek:

hal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
problems importing correct file size from camera

However because of problems I'd heard I didn't buy Photoshop with it. I'm used to connecting my digital camera by usb to my pc, opening photoshop and saying download images. I then decide how big to save the file as, not the pc! If I use Iphoto, the mac seems to be importing my photos that are normally 17 mb as 2mb. I have worked out if I export to the library I can change the file type, which converts the 2mb to 17mb as it should be. But it still stays at only 72dpi, I'm used to my images being automatically 300dpi

Can anyone stop me pulling my hair out and explain to this simpleton the simplest way to get the images off my digital camera, that keeps the original file size (approx 17mb) and has a dpi of 300?
:(

[Threads merged. Please do not double post.]

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I always just use the finder and drag the images from the camera into a finder folder. The files are untouched by any software in the process, so you have the original files. I think this would do what you want.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
hal said:

:(

What format are you shooting in? If you're shooting RAW and JPEG then iPhoto won't import the RAW files, just the JPEGs. Photoshop will import the RAW files OK - what was the reason behind you not buying it?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
blodwyn said:
What format are you shooting in? If you're shooting RAW and JPEG then iPhoto won't import the RAW files, just the JPEGs. Photoshop will import the RAW files OK - what was the reason behind you not buying it?
iPhoto 6 added RAW support for a number of cameras.

To the OP. Which camera are you using? It sounds suspiciously like you have been resizing and uncompressing JPEGs from your camera with Photoshop.

B

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
hal said:

:eek:
You may be confusing the thumbnails with the full images. iPhoto does not downsample photographs unless you explicitly instruct it to do so. I have never seen it downsample photos while importing them from a digital camera.

hal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
re problems importing

Sorry for posting the question twice, I wasn't sure as I'm new to this site if it was a software or camera question.

Samiwas when I plug the Nikon D70 in and go to finder I can't see anywhere that it recognises it has the camera. With image capture it says D70.?

Blodwyn, the reason I didn't buy Photoshop, is because I'd heard that mac weren't supporting it and were waiting for cs3 to come out to find a solution. I've got friends who have bought a macbook pro with photoshop, who can't use the photoshop.

The default settings may be telling the camera in iphoto to downsize, I don't know because i'm new to the whole shebang!

Thanks for all the replies

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
hal said:
Samiwas when I plug the Nikon D70 in and go to finder I can't see anywhere that it recognises it has the camera. With image capture it says D70.?

The Finder only shows cameras that present themselves as mass storage devices (esentially the same as a USB hard drive). It sounds like the D70 does not do that (I don't have one to try). You will have to use Image Capture, iPhoto or Aperture to download your pictures from the camera.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
When you plug in the D70 with iPhoto open it should automatically prompt you to import pictures. These will be imported at whatever resolution and format they are stored on your camera. No Finder navigation should be necessary. Once imported into iPhoto, you can confirm that they are indeed RAW images by looking at the 'info' window at lower left, where you have a summary of file name, type, image dimension, etc. You can also add Spotlight-searchable comments here.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I use a card reader rather than hook the camera directly into the computer. I then open Pictures and upload into a folder there. That preserves them for later work or simply archiving. Next I again upload, but this time into Aperture, which is where I view, sort, and work on them. In each situation the images show as thumbnails but when I open a given one it is the size I shot in-camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.