Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BornABruin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
I have a late 2012 Mac mini with Catalina installed (10.15.7). Things are running fine on Catalina. When I go to the App Store and try to install applications, a high percentage of the apps will throw an error saying something like “<<app name>> can’t be installed on Samsung 860 Pro because macOS version X.XX or later is required”. But in every case I have a more current version of macOS (10.15.7) installed!

I first was trying to install iMovie as I need to import some mini DV tapes and my old Mac Mini is nice because it has Firewire ports. But then I started trying other more current apps like MS Excel, What’sApp, etc.. Most of them throw similar errors.

Has anyone run across this and know of a workaround or fix?

Some examples of what I've tried:

AppSuccess/Failure and Error Message
EvernoteInstalled Correctlly
Affinity Photo 2Installed Correctlly
iMovieNeeds 15.5 or later
MS ExcelNeeds 12.3 or later
DuckDuckGo BrowserNeeds 12.3 or later
GoodNotes 6Needs 13.5 or later
What'sAPpNeeds 11.0 or later

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
But in every case I have a more current version of macOS (10.15.7) installed!
I'm a bit confused on your statement here. All the apps you listed require a newer version than 10.15.7. Apple stopped using version 10 many years ago. It's actually macOS 11, macOS 12, macOS 13, and so on now. So when they say it requires 15.5 or later, they mean 15.5 (or 15.5.0) ... not 10.15.5.

If you've downloaded these apps before, you can try redownloading them through your purchase history instead. It should then try to get the latest version compatible with your Mac/macOS.

Otherwise, you will need to find a newer Mac to make these "purchases" on in order to get them into your purchase history and then try the above. It's also possible some of these apps don't have a version that supports 10.5.7.

BornABruin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
Doh! Color me confused. I thought the version 15 was referring 10.15 not 15.x. That makes a lot more sense! Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.