Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I wasn't sure to post this here or in the MacSierra 10.12 forum. I chose this forum. I just bought my MBA and transferred all of my files that I had backed up from an external hard drive. That took nearly a day. When I logged in this morning, the MBA asked me if I wanted to back up everything to the cloud and I clicked "no" because I want to use an external hard drive. Now it seems like everything from my cloud account which i use for my 2 iphones and iPad are intermingled and that is not what I wanted. Here are 4 problems so far. Please advice.

1. Starting yesterday, when I clicked for the MBA to sleep manually or just close the cover down, when I open the MBA later, I get a dark screen. I have had to reboot. I've had to reboot when I have manually put the MBA on sleep mode or have just closed out the screens I've been on and closed the cover. The keyboard is lit so I know it's not shut off. This can't be good for the MBA to reboot every time I want to use the MBA. How do I fix this so when I lift the cover, the MBA turns on by my swiping my finger on the track pad or touching a key on the keyboard? What is wrong?

2. Safari has my scattered saved bookmarks on the bookmark toolbar instead of the bookmark folders I had set up on my old MBP like "sports" and "travel" which had bookmark links within those names. I also had bookmarks of specific websites like the Wall Street Journal, Google Maps, Amazon, and Facebook. Now the bookmark toolbar has random favorites on the bookmark toolbar from my iphone and ipad which are DIFFERENT from my old MBP. I don't want my iphone/ipad favorites. I want the toolbar to have the bookmarks I had had with my MBP. What do I do?

3. Chrome has retained my old MBP bookmarks on its bookmark screen but some of them don't have their names but rather an icon of a piece of paper with a fold on the right hand corner. How do I return the names (or symbols) as bookmark labels instead of the folded piece of paper icon on the bookmark toolbar? For example, my Amazon and Facebook bookmarks had their yellow A symbol and blue/white F symbol respectively. Now they are just shown as folded pieces of paper in which I have to move my cursor to identify what these bookmarks are. Please help fix this.

4. Not a Sierra question but how do I connect the MBA to my ethernet cable for wired internet in case I don't want to go wireless? The MBA ports don't work with my current cable. Is there an adaptor I need to get and if so, which one and can you recommend a good and inexpensive one?

Thanks.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
i would suggest taking advantage of https://support.apple.com/en-ca/complimentary, you get 90 days of phone aupport when you buy a mac to help you set up everything the way you want. the number should be in the paperwork somewhere
I waited over 25 minutes for somebody at AppleCare to take my call before I hung up. Then an automated dialer would call me back and I still waited on hold for over 20 minutes before hanging up. Not once but twice. Not impressed with the phone support.

Reactions: SusanK

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I waited over 25 minutes for somebody at AppleCare to take my call before I hung up. Then an automated dialer would call me back and I still waited on hold for over 20 minutes before hanging up. Not once but twice. Not impressed with the phone support.

Holding on the phone for AppleCare reps takes patience, but it does pay off. I frequently have to wait at least 20-25 minutes for a rep and 95% of time it's been positive for me.

I just waited about 20 minutes to request a pro-rated refund on the AC+ for my traded in 6s and my request was filled. No fuss, no muss.

I understand not everyone has the time to wait, but you may as well take advantage and have them help you.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Holding on the phone for AppleCare reps takes patience, but it does pay off. I frequently have to wait at least 20-25 minutes for a rep and 95% of time it's been positive for me.

I just waited about 20 minutes to request a pro-rated refund on the AC+ for my traded in 6s and my request was filled. No fuss, no muss.

I understand not everyone has the time to wait, but you may as well take advantage and have them help you.
Multiple times on hold for over 20 minutes even when they called me? I really don't have patience for that. Maybe some do; I don't. Why have an automated dialer keep calling me if nobody is on the line?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Multiple times on hold for over 20 minutes even when they called me? I really don't have patience for that. Maybe some do; I don't. Why have an automated dialer keep calling me if nobody is on the line?

Lately, yes those wait times are not uncommon. The automated dialer is saving your space in the queue.

While I am an impatient person when it comes to getting issues resolved, I have learned patience is the way to go. My thinking is: I gave Apple my hard earned money for a product that is supposed to work. If it doesn't work, then I will call and wait to see if there is a fix or request a return.

I would suggest looking up information at Apple's support site or even their discussion forums for the issues you are having since you cannot wait for a customer service rep to pick up.

For example, I just googled Safari bookmarks in Sierra and found this:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21465?locale=en_US

Additional suggestions:

1) Post these issues in the Sierra forum here.

2) if you're near an Apple store you could schedule an appointment at a genius bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beachguy

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Lately, yes those wait times are not uncommon. The automated dialer is saving your space in the queue.

While I am an impatient person when it comes to getting issues resolved, I have learned patience is the way to go. My thinking is: I gave Apple my hard earned money for a product that is supposed to work. If it doesn't work, then I will call and wait to see if there is a fix or request a return.

I would suggest looking up information at Apple's support site or even their discussion forums for the issues you are having since you cannot wait for a customer service rep to pick up.

Alternately, if you're near an Apple store you could schedule an appointment at a genius bar.
Thanks for your response. I did use google but came up with nothing specific to Sierra and the latest MBA. I made an appt at a Genius Bar tomorrow. I was hoping people here would know what to do as I had hoped to have these things resolved today. I hope they can help me tomorrow.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Thanks for your response. I made an appt at a Genius Bar tomorrow. I was hoping people here would know what to do as I had hoped to have these things resolved today. I hope they can help me tomorrow.

I've updated my response, you may want to google the issues you are having and see if any official Apple support documents come up.

Also if you politely link to this thread in the Sierra forum here, maybe folks can offer more help.

Good luck!

Reactions: Beachguy

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I've updated my response, you may want to google the issues you are having and see if any official Apple support documents come up.

Also if you politely link to this thread in the Sierra forum here, maybe folks can offer more help.

Good luck!
Thank you very much! I didn't think to link this question to the Sierra forum but I did ask the question this morning over there. This may seem like a simplistic question but how do you link a question from one form to another? I'm always learning! Again, thank you.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Thank you very much! I didn't think to link this question to the Sierra forum but I did ask the question this morning over there. This may seem like a simplistic question but how do you link a question from one form to another? I'm always learning! Again, thank you.

You click on the #1 to the right of your post (in a red box) and copy the code in the second box that says that says BB Code link snippet. I would suggest you edit your existing thread/post in the Sierra forum and politely ask for help.

Problems using new MBA

I noodled around with the Safari Bookmarks instructions from Apple's support site (I posted that in my revised response to you above). I was able to create bookmarks folders using these instructions and my favorites bar now has the absolute minimum of essential bookmarks needed.

The sleep/wake issue with your MBA is beyond my scope.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I went to the Genius Bar today. The techie could not find any reason why the MBA didn't start up after being put in sleep mode. He did a series of tests and found no problem. Of course, when he closed the MBA and opened it a minute later, there was no problem! He said if I do experience it again, I should look to see if the Apple is lit behind the screen and then make another appointment for further tests. He also fixed my Safari bookmark toolbar. He apologized it didn't come through after the file transfer. He said it had nothing to do with the fact that I was in Snow Leopard on my MBP. So a good appointment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.