Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amy Sutherland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2020
I am debating between a macbook air and macbook pro. I host zoom calls and live streams but not with many people at once. What is the difference if I were to get the macbook air 1.2GHz quad core 10th generation i7 processor turbo boost 3.8GHz vs a macbook pro with 2.0GHz Quad-Core 8th generation i5 Processor with Turbo Boost 3.8GHz

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I am debating between a macbook air and macbook pro. I host zoom calls and live streams but not with many people at once. What is the difference if I were to get the macbook air 1.2GHz quad core 10th generation i7 processor turbo boost 3.8GHz vs a macbook pro with 2.0GHz Quad-Core 8th generation i5 Processor with Turbo Boost 3.8GHz
I’d get the i5 Pro over the i7 Air. The MacBook Pro 10th gen is significantly faster in processor-intensive applications. Both the Air and the Pro could handle Zoom calls, but the Pro is likely to be quieter because it has a better cooling system (2 fans, plus a heat sink).

The CPU specs are a bit misleading. Though the turbo boost speeds appear similar, note that the Air can’t sustain those high speeds for very long (basically only long enough to launch a program or start a process), while the Pro can. The Air uses a 10W chip that tops out at 12W. The Pro uses a 28W chip (the base Pro uses a 15W chip that can top out at 25W). Simply put, the MacBook Pro 10th gen i5 can sustain all 4 cores running at 3.0GHz for an extended time, while the Air in that circumstance will settle in around 1.7GHz.

You are unlikely to tax the processor that much if all you are doing are Zoom calls and live streams, but if you think you will be doing anything more processor intensive (e.g. video editing), or have a lot of background activities during your Zoom calls, the Pro would likely be quieter with the fans running at a lower speed.

If you shop around, there are some small deals on the base 10th-gen Pro. I have seen it as low as $1649 through Adorama (though you need to click through a link from AppleInsider.com’s site and use the APINSIDER promo code). That’s the same as the i7 Air, though I have seen that model discounted by $50. In any case, I’d recommend the i5 Pro over the i7 Air even with the $150 list price difference, and certainly for $50 more. For the extra price, you get two extra Thunderbolt ports (and the ability to charge it from either side), a brighter screen with better colors, and the Touch Bar (which may be a positive or negative), along with the extra CPU power.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amy Sutherland

Amy Sutherland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2020
I’d get the i5 Pro over the i7 Air. The MacBook Pro 10th gen is significantly faster in processor-intensive applications. Both the Air and the Pro could handle Zoom calls, but the Pro is likely to be quieter because it has a better cooling system (2 fans, plus a heat sink).

The CPU specs are a bit misleading. Though the turbo boost speeds appear similar, note that the Air can’t sustain those high speeds for very long (basically only long enough to launch a program or start a process), while the Pro can. The Air uses a 10W chip that tops out at 12W. The Pro uses a 28W chip (the base Pro uses a 15W chip that can top out at 25W). Simply put, the MacBook Pro 10th gen i5 can sustain all 4 cores running at 3.0GHz for an extended time, while the Air in that circumstance will settle in around 1.7GHz.

You are unlikely to tax the processor that much if all you are doing are Zoom calls and live streams, but if you think you will be doing anything more processor intensive (e.g. video editing), or have a lot of background activities during your Zoom calls, the Pro would likely be quieter with the fans running at a lower speed.

If you shop around, there are some small deals on the base 10th-gen Pro. I have seen it as low as $1649 through Adorama (though you need to click through a link from AppleInsider.com’s site and use the APINSIDER promo code). That’s the same as the i7 Air, though I have seen that model discounted by $50. In any case, I’d recommend the i5 Pro over the i7 Air even with the $150 list price difference, and certainly for $50 more. For the extra price, you get two extra Thunderbolt ports (and the ability to charge it from either side), a brighter screen with better colors, and the Touch Bar (which may be a positive or negative), along with the extra CPU power.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful, and appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Reactions: KPOM

benredacted

macrumors member
May 21, 2020
Another vote for the i5 MBP. I feel like I watched half of YouTube researching the Air vs. Pro question. In the end, the weight difference is negligible between the Air and the Pro (0.3 lbs) and the Pro has better cooling that gives you better (and quieter) sustained performance. I ended up going with the base Pro with the RAM upgraded to 16GB. I will say if you upgrade more than just the RAM, then you should start looking at the 10th gen 16GB/512GB model.

As pointed out above, there are various places that you can find discounts. If you are a .edu or .gov, you can get a discount from Apple, and if have and use the Apple credit card, you can get an additional 3% off for buying from the Apple store.

Amy Sutherland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Another vote for the i5 MBP. I feel like I watched half of YouTube researching the Air vs. Pro question. In the end, the weight difference is negligible between the Air and the Pro (0.3 lbs) and the Pro has better cooling that gives you better (and quieter) sustained performance. I ended up going with the base Pro with the RAM upgraded to 16GB. I will say if you upgrade more than just the RAM, then you should start looking at the 10th gen 16GB/512GB model.

As pointed out above, there are various places that you can find discounts. If you are a .edu or .gov, you can get a discount from Apple, and if have and use the Apple credit card, you can get an additional 3% off for buying from the Apple store.
Thank you! Very helpful!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thank you so much! This is very helpful, and appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Just to clarify, the i5 model I was referring to for $1799 list ($1649 through Adorama) has the 10th generation processor, not the 8th generation processor. The base model 13” Pro confusingly also has an i5, but the 8th generation. That starts at $1299 but is $1599 when boosted to 16GB/512GB. That would also generally be faster than the Air, but its graphics aren’t as good and like the Air it has only 2 Thunderbolt ports.

I’d recommend the $1799 model for the Pro.

Amy Sutherland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Just to clarify, the i5 model I was referring to for $1799 list ($1649 through Adorama) has the 10th generation processor, not the 8th generation processor. The base model 13” Pro confusingly also has an i5, but the 8th generation. That starts at $1299 but is $1599 when boosted to 16GB/512GB. That would also generally be faster than the Air, but its graphics aren’t as good and like the Air it has only 2 Thunderbolt ports.

I’d recommend the $1799 model for the Pro.
Thank you, I think at this point looking at the 10th generation.

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
I would love to hear comments from someone with experience hosting Zoom or similar with new MacBook Air processors. My suspicion is that even the MBA i5 would both be fine. Generally I agree with what others are saying; I just don't think your use case sounds like a demanding workload. I've ripped video on MacBooks Air (not recommended!).

I am all for buying as much computer as you want, your decision comes down to the form factor and how much you're willing to spend. The options on you list are enough for your needs--even the MPB 8th Gen i5s would be fine. 10th Gen is certainly more future-proof and you get better sounding speakers & more Tbt/USB ports.

As the owner of a 2012 and 2018 MacBook Air, I can tell you the older one can host Zoom ok (no virtual backgrounds), and the 2018 although I would not recommend it, is faster. The 2020 MBA processors are good. I'm considering replacing both of mine with a new i5 or i7 MBA. (Especially since 14" update didn't appear) Good luck.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

Then follow the staple steps to secure you Zoom callings:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.