Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I have been toying with the idea of buying a profiling tool, but have one question. I have a 24" iMac 3.06 with 4Gb of RAM. I have a 22" LCD attached to the Mini DVI out. How do I profile the external LCD, will the profiling tool such as a Huey Pro understand that this 22" LCD is not the iMac?

Cory5412

macrumors member
May 14, 2004
Arizona
On my iMac with an external display, I just drag the window for the calibration application over to the other display, and it understands that I want the external monitor calibrated. I don't know exactly how the Pantone/Huey software works, but on my X-Rite i1 Display with whatever software was included there, it works perfectly.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
On my iMac with an external display, I just drag the window for the calibration application over to the other display, and it understands that I want the external monitor calibrated. I don't know exactly how the Pantone/Huey software works, but on my X-Rite i1 Display with whatever software was included there, it works perfectly.

OK thanks, I guess the tool is on my list to purchase. My new AOC is beautiful but adjusting the color using the Apple utility is more than hard.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Forgot to ask when profiling using a device do you have to use the LCD controls or is it done with the software for the device?

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK

The Huey Pro works in a similar way - you just drag the application window onto the second screen to calibrate it.

Most calibrators require you to adjust the screen to within a certain brightness/contrast range using the monitor controls, and then the calibrator takes over and does the rest by setting the profile. Not sure exactly how it all works with these things, but work they do! And very effectively, too...

I've used the EyeOne and Huey Pro and both have produced results that I have been happy with. I didn't get to use the EyeOne with a multiple monitor arrangement so I don't know if it works for such a set-up.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have been toying with the idea of buying a profiling tool, but have one question. I have a 24" iMac 3.06 with 4Gb of RAM. I have a 22" LCD attached to the Mini DVI out. How do I profile the external LCD, will the profiling tool such as a Huey Pro understand that this 22" LCD is not the iMac?

If you buy the lowest priced EyeOne then the included software will only profile the "primary" display. To do both you have to pay extra to unlock an aditional feature set. But it is very esy to work around. What you do is change in preferences which monitor is "primary". They sell multiple versions of the EyeOne. Each has identical hardware and th software is the same too only more features get unlocked.

So the worst case is you have to do some extra mouse clicking to make it work but work it will.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
If you buy the lowest priced EyeOne then the included software will only profile the "primary" display. To do both you have to pay extra to unlock an aditional feature set. But it is very esy to work around. What you do is change in preferences which monitor is "primary". They sell multiple versions of the EyeOne. Each has identical hardware and th software is the same too only more features get unlocked.

So the worst case is you have to do some extra mouse clicking to make it work but work it will.

Thank you both for all the info, I am going to get a unit in the near future. As far as I see the iMac is very near perfect as the prints from the Canon Pro 9000 look like a perfect match to the screen. The new AOC has a slight green tint that I can adjust out but prefer to do it with a profiler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.