Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lainvoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Hello!

I'm looking for software/online platform recommendations.

I run a small curtain business. In house there are "designers/project managers" (2 persons), assistants (1 person), production (2 persons), installation (1 person), manager (me). Sometimes outside help is also included eg. architects, outsourced production, outsourced installation. Inside our company we only use Apple devices. Everyone has an iPhone. The designers and assistant have iMacs. Production has an iPad (I can of course install a Mac as well). Installation man has only an iPhone.

Every order from a client I would like to process as a separate "project".
  • I would like to have a central communication software where I (or the project manager) can make a project thread for every new project and add all related people to the thread.
  • Communication includes messages and emails which I would like to automatically add to this project thread. Messages could be on the app/platform used, but external emails from clients and outside help should also be included.
  • Also I would like to add files in PDF format and photos done on site, in production, during installation etc.
  • It should also have a solid search functionality across all project threads, included emails and attached files.

Could someone please recommend software they have used in similar situations or at least software I should test.

At this point I am looking into Trello and Slack, but maybe there is a better solution that I have missed.

If I get a working solution I will definitely add this information to this post with all setup information as well!

Thank you all!

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
If your communication goes beyond chatting, and more towards project/task management, then Slack may not be the right solution IMHO.
Since you've made it to Trello already, perhaps you can also take a look at Meistertask or even more at Asana.
I've introduced Asana to my programmers/technical writers teams (about 10 people in several offices over Europe) about half a year ago, and it works great. Done with the email abuse :D
Asana is an online platform with clients on iOS.

Reactions: lainvoo

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I like Trello for brainstorming, and Asana for... well, I don't like Asana, but others in my company use it for more traditional management tasks - calendar, list keeping, etc. I don't like Slack at all. I don't like being bothered by constant chatter.

A "better solution" will be one more tailored for your own specific business (impractical for such a small business) or for your type of business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.