Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Browsing the Google phones, due to iPhone 8/X debacle, I see Pixels come with a "Project Fi" SIM card. It says $20/month and $10/GB, and my zip code is covered.

I'd like to hear from anyone actively using this. So I can drop AT&T? How is the coverage? Are there any catches? Will it work with any phone, or only Pixels?

Thanks!

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Browsing the Google phones, due to iPhone 8/X debacle, I see Pixels come with a "Project Fi" SIM card. It says $20/month and $10/GB, and my zip code is covered.

I'd like to hear from anyone actively using this. So I can drop AT&T? How is the coverage? Are there any catches? Will it work with any phone, or only Pixels?

Thanks!

I'm planning on making the change to Fi when the new Pixels arrive. In my research what I found out about switching SIM's is that it has to be setup on a Fi phone after it's setup the SIM can be put in other phones but it won't do all the network switching like it will on a Fi phone. I'm using Ting right now so the switch to Fi won't really save me money but the coverage up here is spotty so the ability for the phone to jump networks is why I'm going to switch.

Reactions: M. Gustave

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I'm using Fi. T-Mobile and Sprint inside my place are spotty but WiFi calling makes up for that, as does Hangouts integration for texting (I can send a text from my Fi number using ANY device signed in to my Google account) but I can also text over WiFi using my primary device.

I've had a couple dropped calls, likely due to network switching, but on the same note I don't take a lot of calls while driving so it's not a HUGE deal.

As @lowendlinux mentioned - the Fi SIM WILL work in any device but it MUST be activated using one of the approved devices. Also with Fi - data-only SIMs. You can get a free data-only SIM for other devices, it pulls from your data pool. If you use a device other than a Nexus or Pixel for the main Fi SIM it MUST support T-Mobile as that is the carrier it will use, same with the data-only SIM.

If you don't use a lot of data Fi is a good option. I'm stingy with data use, even when I had to tether a couple times on vacation (HORRIBLE WiFi) I still used less than my initial 1 GB data purchase. Also, you can sign up for just one GB of data ($10) and if you go over it will automatically bill you for the next step.

Don't expect any zero-rating of services like Netflix, YouTube, Hulu or whatever the carriers offer - that's not what Fi is about. You pay for what you use data-wise (yes, that means credit back for unused data at the end of the month). Google has also been compassionate toward those in the recent disaster areas from Harvey and Irma - issuing $20 credits to those in the effected areas. There was also a stumble with data counting a couple months ago, Google issued credits for the estimated over-calculation the next month.

If either of you decide to sign up - PM me. I'll get you a referral code that results in both of us getting a $20 credit after the first month.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm also seriously considering purchasing the forthcoming Google Pixel 2 and dropping AT&T for Project Fi. I've been reading many articles and watching YouTube videos all weekend and I like what I see so far. For cellular data I average about 1GB used per month so I think Project Fi will work well for my needs.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I'm also seriously considering purchasing the forthcoming Google Pixel 2 and dropping AT&T for Project Fi. I've been reading many articles and watching YouTube videos all weekend and I like what I see so far. For cellular data I average about 1GB used per month so I think Project Fi will work well for my needs.

If you're not data heavy Ting would do much the same as Fi without having to buy a phone. I'm at less than 1GB of data this month and my bill from Ting is projected to be $22

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If you're not data heavy Ting would do much the same as Fi without having to buy a phone. I'm at less than 1GB of data this month and my bill from Ting is projected to be $22
I've not heard of Ting so I'll look into it. The reason I want a new phone is for a change. I've only ever had iPhones since the first one and though I like them and iOS I'm ready to try something different. I landed on the Pixel so I can have a vanilla build of Android without third-party stuff added to it by other manufacturers. I didn't know about Project Fi until after I decided to go for a Pixel and I liked what I saw there too. I am expecting to save about $50 per month using that over AT&T.

Baring any glaring craziness with the Pixel 2 in a few weeks I am confident that I'll be going in that direction.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I've not heard of Ting so I'll look into it. The reason I want a new phone is for a change. I've only ever had iPhones since the first one and though I like them and iOS I'm ready to try something different. I landed on the Pixel so I can have a vanilla build of Android without third-party stuff added to it by other manufacturers. I didn't know about Project Fi until after I decided to go for a Pixel and I liked what I saw there too. I am expecting to save about $50 per month using that over AT&T.

Baring any glaring craziness with the Pixel 2 in a few weeks I am confident that I'll be going in that direction.

If you want a new phone anyway then I agree Pixel and Fi is probably the way to go.

Reactions: S.B.G

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If you want a new phone anyway then I agree Pixel and Fi is probably the way to go.
I'm using the iPhone 6s still and the new 8 and X don't exactly blow my hair back like the first couple of iPhones did 10 years ago. I won't say the Pixel blows my hair back either and that's okay. It’s the Android OS that I want to experience. Had I decided not to go toward Android, I might have decided to keep the 6s a while longer or buy a discounted 7 or something.

Reactions: lowendlinux

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
My offer above stands for ANYONE. If you want to join Fi, PM me and I'll shoot you a referral code, which gets both of us a $20 bill credit after your line has been active for 30 days.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Thanks!

I think the caveats are data is very expensive, and there are no multi line discounts. They may have added multi line discounts though, I think I read that was coming. But I believe data is still pretty expensive. If you don't use data much it is a nice option though, reception was decent the couple of weeks I used it.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

Here's my bill with 6 days to go

Screeny.png

If you're like me and and their coverage works in your zip it might be better deal

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I think the caveats are data is very expensive, and there are no multi line discounts. They may have added multi line discounts though, I think I read that was coming. But I believe data is still pretty expensive. If you don't use data much it is a nice option though, reception was decent the couple of weeks I used it.

Group/family plans are available. Primary line is still $20, additional lines are $15 each and all draw from the same data "bucket". You are correct - for anyone using more than about 3 or 4 GB of data it doesn't really compete with some other services. For someone like me (I've used 100 MB of data in the first week of my current cycle) it makes absolute sense.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I found a Nexus 6p on craigslist for not to much so I just signed up for Fi to go with it...I can finally put the S6 edge in a drawer and forget about it :)

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

Its way to expensive if you use a lot of data. Most of the big carriers are moving to unlimited data plans.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015

Thanks!

Project Fi is the best thing going in the cell phone world today, IMO. Means more than the latest stupid phone, for sure, especially if you're an international traveler.

For iPhone users, the one catch is that you have to activate Fi on an official Fi-compatible phone. Worth getting the Moto X4 just for the service. You can get the phone, activate Fi, and return the phone, but there may be other cases down the line where you need the actual Fi phone, such as porting a number, for example. Otherwise, you can activate the service and pop the SIM into your iPhone and be on your way. I'm finding that the latest Fi SIMs with iPhone 8 work just wonderfully.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Project Fi is the best thing going in the cell phone world today, IMO. Means more than the latest stupid phone, for sure, especially if you're an international traveler.

For iPhone users, the one catch is that you have to activate Fi on an official Fi-compatible phone. Worth getting the Moto X4 just for the service. You can get the phone, activate Fi, and return the phone, but there may be other cases down the line where you need the actual Fi phone, such as porting a number, for example. Otherwise, you can activate the service and pop the SIM into your iPhone and be on your way. I'm finding that the latest Fi SIMs with iPhone 8 work just wonderfully.

How exactly is Fi the best thing going for international traveler? Its more expensive than other plans if you use a lot of data. It doesn't use the top network providers. I'm on AT&T. I have a competitive plan for my data consumption of $30G/month. When I travel abroad, I pay a flat $10/day for any days I use any data. I get great LTE coverage where ever I go. What am I missing vs. Fi?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
How exactly is Fi the best thing going for international traveler? Its more expensive than other plans if you use a lot of data. It doesn't use the top network providers. I'm on AT&T. I have a competitive plan for my data consumption of $30G/month. When I travel abroad, I pay a flat $10/day for any days I use any data. I get great LTE coverage where ever I go. What am I missing vs. Fi?

For those that don't use a lot of data or are near WiFi most of the time, it makes PERFECT sense. My last 4 bills were $28.24 - $32.17, and that largest bill was a month where I spent a long weekend away from home with no access to WiFi. "doesn't use top network providers"? Umm, where do you rank T-Mobile then?

If you smartly manage your data, Fi is a GREAT option and smartly managing your data usage is not that difficult. As for the international travel - you still just pay for what you use, no daily fees added on to your bill, with your plan 7 day's worth of those fees will pay for 7 GB of data on Fi.

Reactions: janeauburn

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
For those that don't use a lot of data or are near WiFi most of the time, it makes PERFECT sense. My last 4 bills were $28.24 - $32.17, and that largest bill was a month where I spent a long weekend away from home with no access to WiFi. "doesn't use top network providers"? Umm, where do you rank T-Mobile then?

If you smartly manage your data, Fi is a GREAT option and smartly managing your data usage is not that difficult. As for the international travel - you still just pay for what you use, no daily fees added on to your bill, with your plan 7 day's worth of those fees will pay for 7 GB of data on Fi.

Yup. I've tried 'em all. Nothing comes close to Fi.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

Most users are barely using mobile phones for voice anymore, which is why its generally unlimited, and data is what is the primary play. I rank the top providers as Verizon and AT&T. I used T-Mobile for 6 months and coverage was spotty unless you were near a major metro area all the time. In remote areas, no coverage. And it totally sucked for international travel. I will gladly pay $10/day for international usage. I get fast LTE service in every country I've been to and no exactly what my bill will be.

If you are one of the rare folks that use your mobile phone primarily for voice, live in a major metro area, and never travel out of that... then its probably great.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Most users are barely using mobile phones for voice anymore, which is why its generally unlimited, and data is what is the primary play. I rank the top providers as Verizon and AT&T. I used T-Mobile for 6 months and coverage was spotty unless you were near a major metro area all the time. In remote areas, no coverage. And it totally sucked for international travel. I will gladly pay $10/day for international usage. I get fast LTE service in every country I've been to and no exactly what my bill will be.

If you are one of the rare folks that use your mobile phone primarily for voice, live in a major metro area, and never travel out of that... then its probably great.

Fi doesn't just use T-Mo..

Today I went to Carthage, NY for a Christmas party and I was the only person with coverage because my phone grabbed US Cellular. After the party I headed to Oswego, NY coming back through the town I live it went back to T-Mo then as I headed out of town picked up Sprint on 81. After I left 81 and back toward the lake it went back to T-Mo then along the lake it went back to US Cellular, arrive in Oswego back on T-Mo all in an hour and a half drive. If I had been on any one of those carriers I'd have been without signal for a good portion of my drive.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Fi doesn't just use T-Mo..

Today I went to Carthage, NY for a Christmas party and I was the only person with coverage because my phone grabbed US Cellular. After the party I headed to Oswego, NY coming back through the town I live it went back to T-Mo then as I headed out of town picked up Sprint on 81. After I left 81 and back toward the lake it went back to T-Mo then along the lake it went back to US Cellular, arrive in Oswego back on T-Mo all in an hour and a half drive. If I had been on any one of those carriers I'd have been without signal for a good portion of my drive.

Correct, but AT&T and Verizon probably cover the whole area you were in. Fi is bundling together a bunch of the lower tier players to fill dead spots. Where my daughter is at in college (in the mountains), the only coverage is AT&T and Verizon. After she graduates, I might consider T-Mobile. I would never go to Fi because of the data rates. They need to look at being more competitive for people that use more data.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Correct, but AT&T and Verizon probably cover the whole area you were in. Fi is bundling together a bunch of the lower tier players to fill dead spots. Where my daughter is at in college (in the mountains), the only coverage is AT&T and Verizon. After she graduates, I might consider T-Mobile. I would never go to Fi because of the data rates. They need to look at being more competitive for people that use more data.

It doesn't as soon as you leave the 81 corridor no single company has any real coverage up here bears outnumber people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.