Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I feel like a donkey for asking this but don't want to damage my new camera. :eek:
I was looking on the computer at my pictures and noticed a red dot in some of my pictures... I looked at the lens I did see some dust. When I bought my camera it came with a basic cleaning kit. I tried using the blower but did noticed one piece of dust that is stuck on there. I think this is causing the dot.
The kit came with lens tissue paper, lens cleaning fluid, a mico-fiber cloth, a blower, a brush and q-tips. Whats the best solution...

Attachments

• red dot.jpg
    red dot.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 233

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
the red spot is a hot pixel. it has nothing to do with your lens. dust also has no effect on the image, unless the lens is filled with it.

for the spot that won't get blown off, you should use the lens tissue with cleaning fluid. remember to blow off any dust or debris before you use a tissue - you don't want to rub anything into the coating. don't touch any part of the tissue that will touch the lens.

I use a Lenspen to brush off dust most (99%) of the time (same thing as using a blower). then I go over anything left with the cleaning tip on the pen. for anything that doesn't come off after than, I use Pec Pads and Eclipse II cleaning solution.

remember to only physically clean the glass when necessary. otherwise, over time, the coatings will become worn and you can get "cleaning marks" on the glass.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
lens pen is A MUST, as is a giottos blower. A lot of photo shops will sell cleaner. I got some stuff called 'ROR", and i have like 5 microcloths.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
the red spot is a hot pixel. it has nothing to do with your lens. dust also has no effect on the image, unless the lens is filled with it.

what does this mean? Is my camera defective? Is like a dead pixel on LCD?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Is like a dead pixel on LCD?

basically...it's normal since there's 10+ million pixels, vs <2 million on a monitor. what usually happens is the conversion software will map it out, but some get missed. if you send the camera to the manufacturer, they will program the camera to map out the new hot pixels.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I've been googling around and found out more information... I've been going through some pictures and one of them it really obvious... the settings were 1/60 F5 ISO 200. Should I return/request service?

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 185
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.