Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Can anyone tell me if there are any pros and cons of using a lens hood on your lens? I.E. Purple fringing, blurred images, etc.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Using a lens hood can cause increased contrast, reduced flare, increased colour saturation, and it can protect the front of the lens from impacts.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Only "con" I can think of, off the top of my head, is if you're using a flash - the hood can cause shadows. But then, so can a longish lens. :D

Oh, and a hood not designed for the lens can sometimes cause vignetting.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
I swear by lens hoods primarily for front element protection, and don't corrupt the image quality like a UV or protective filter can. I don't use a pop-up flash so I don't have a problem with flash hitting the hood, but if I did it would be an issue because it does cause problems with a on camera flash like stated above.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Only con for a specific hood designed for a lens is that it takes up more space in the bag, and the flash issue for built-in flash for some cameras.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Can anyone tell me if there are any pros and cons of using a lens hood on your lens? I.E. Purple fringing, blurred images, etc.

I don't believe a hood has ever been attributed to chromatic aberration. If I am wrong then...well it's not the first time! I also don't think you can attribute blurred images to a lens hood. As others have said I believe the only downfall of the hood is when using a flash or if the hood was not designed for the lens. Using a 3rd party lens on a say a super wide lens may not always be advised. Either way you're bound to get vignetting and not CA or blurred images.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
He said purple fringing, and purple fringing and CA aren't the same, are they?

Anyway, I'm not sure if you can reduce any of those things with a lens hood. I'd use it to reduce/eliminate flares caused by the sun. That's it. I don't use them, though. They take up too much space in my bag.

I'm not sure about some of the image quality factors brought up by others in this thread, but I'll assume they know what they're talking about as well.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The only time I've seen a lens hood cause a problem is in macro photography. The lens is so close to the subject that a hood would block light and cast a shadow on the subject. But any time the subject is more then maybe a foot away the hood helps by keeping stray light off the lens.

Hoods are most effective on a fixed lens. On a zoom they must be made wide enough for the wide end of the range

As for taking room in the bag. They don't take up any if the can be turned around backwards as some can. they also make rubber lens shades that will compress and take no room.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
As for taking room in the bag. They don't take up any if the can be turned around backwards as some can. they also make rubber lens shades that will compress and take no room.

Sure they do. The hood is a larger diameter than the lens, and even turned backwards they take up a larger width although the length is the same. Even worse is the wide angle lenses. I've got the Canon 10-22mm and the width is much larger than the lens.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
I use a rubber collapsible hood one some of my lenses mostly to make them look bigger. The bigger the lens, the less I have found some people question my right to take pictures. :) At the same time, some places I go to photograph, I go out of my way to make it look like I have no clue what I am doing. I use wider lenses and no hood....don't carry a bag with me if I can help it, etc.

It has the benefit of helping some with lens flare.

Macerture

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Dirty Jersey
Pros: Blocks stray light from hitting lens and creating glare, flare, spots, etc.

Cons: Can block flash on wide-angle or close-focusing lenses.

JNB

macrumors 604
ha, but completely unsurprising. I've found the press pass to some events is a big enough camera setup; moms and dads will get kicked but I won't because of my 70-200 (which isn't even that huge).

So true. I was in a local historic park a few weeks ago with the full kit, tripod, swapping lenses every few minutes with the same subject, super low-angle stuff, hundreds of photos, the usual "photo geek" having a day out. Some lady and her kid came into the general spot where I was shooting, and she actually came up and asked if it was ok for them to be there, in the sense that the area was off-limits to "civilians". No, I didn't goof them, but I did get a few nice candid mother-and-child shots.

Oh, and I used the hood on my 70-200 f/4L. Very intimidating...

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
I swear by a lens hood as well but if you do travel photography many people get intimidated by a large lens and lens hood shoved in their direction.

KidneyPi

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
Everybody seems to be missing the biggest con. If the hood wasn't made specifically for the lens you are using, make sure it stays out of the image. Some hoods are too big for the lens and will be seen in the image. It is easy to miss, especially if your viewfinder doesn't show the whole image. I almost had a whole shoot on a short film ruined when the cinematographer didn't check his frame and had the a corner covered in about 40% of the shots.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
One other con is that it makes it very difficult to adjust a circular polarizer if you are using one. A rubber hood can be collapsed to adjust the filter, but a plastic one will need to be removed so you don't put finger prints all over the filter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.