Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neilaveledo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
The new Macbook Pro should focus on Professionals and forget about batteries longevity, most PRO will work together with power and ethernet any way.

64GB of RAM and 8 core i7 extreme (or multi-ARM) will make a big difference and will give the Pro users a platform to consider seriously.

Or make it Hybrid, with an i7 extreme + A9 + discrete GPU (what a explosions of capacity and petaflops!)

mobility you will think on a Macbook or iPad Pro, but none of those should be an option when consider POWER, and for that is Macbook Pro and Mac Pro... (or should be.)

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
What in the world would the "Extreme" edition be needed for? Are you suggesting apple design one of their laptops for overclocking?

Reactions: old-wiz

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
I have a late 2013 15" rMBP that easily handles Lr, PS CC, FCPX, Premier Pro and other "pro" app's without any issues.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
The new Macbook Pro should focus on Professionals and forget about batteries longevity, most PRO will work together with power and ethernet any way.

64GB of RAM and 8 core i7 extreme (or multi-ARM) will make a big difference and will give the Pro users a platform to consider seriously.

Or make it Hybrid, with an i7 extreme + A9 + discrete GPU (what a explosions of capacity and petaflops!)

mobility you will think on a Macbook or iPad Pro, but none of those should be an option when consider POWER, and for that is Macbook Pro and Mac Pro... (or should be.)

Pro, as Apple use the term, does not mean for professional use, and they're just not in the muscle computer market. Come to think of it, the real graphics + beast processor machines I've seen are targeted at gamers, not commercial users.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
...multi-ARM...

...i7 extreme + A9 + discrete GPU (what a explosions of capacity and petaflops!)...

Something about your post makes me think you don't know what you're talking about. Multiple ARMs? For what exactly? How would a pro user benefit from having twenty or so simple CPU cores? A combination of an ARM and a x86 CPU? That just wouldn't work together, wouldn't run the same software or would have to use some kind of emulation or weird hardware instruction translation.

An i7 extreme, dedicated GPU, did you even think about cooling the thing?
Why would a pro user need a machine that lasts half an hour and produces four hundred watts of heat? What kind of usage are we talking about?

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA

Can I ask what you do, that the current MBP isn't capable of doing?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
13" pro, qc-processor, atleast 16gb ram, dgpu.

if i need to buy 15" "pro" to have qc/dgpu, i get another win laptop.

my current mbpr (13" i5, 8gb, late 2014) is much slower than my older win laptop (i7/qc/8gb, 2012). not going buy another outdated mbpr.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
I have a late 2013 15" rMBP that easily handles Lr, PS CC, FCPX, Premier Pro and other "pro" app's without any issues.

This is what I mean. Whenever I see actual professional musicians or whatever with a laptop, it's usually a MacBook Pro. I don't see how they're good enough for those Pros, but Macrumors members are somehow hindered by performance.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
13" pro, qc-processor, atleast 16gb ram, dgpu.

if i need to buy 15" "pro" to have qc/dgpu, i get another win laptop.

my current mbpr (13" i5, 8gb, late 2014) is much slower than my older win laptop (i7/qc/8gb, 2012). not going buy another outdated mbpr.

Of course there aren't any Windows 13 inch machines that do that either.

The closest is the surface book it is a 2 in one using the same processors as a MacBook Air (dual core) and the variant with the dGPU (an awful 940m) in the keyboard with the extra battery needed to make it usable is $2400.

There is the odd 14 inch quad core with dGPU but the battery life is generally awful.

Reactions: Patcell

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
At this point I think Apple offers an almost perfect blend between performance and battery life (when you need either, the machine delivers). My mid-2014 15" rMBP is a monster at pretty much whatever I throw at it, save serious 3D work/ gaming - the 750M leaves something to be desired in that arena. My one big hope is that they step up in terms of GPU performance. And I don't mean Intel's new Iris Pro integrated thing, I mean a real dGPU. Polaris perhaps?

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
35a7o2a.jpg

24gisk5.jpg

2n83pfc.jpg

Queen6

macrumors G4
Lenovo P50 & P70 Mobile Xeon CPU`s, up to 64Gb of RAM, a multitude of options dual SSD with RAID etc. and Linux, making for a very compelling engineering laptop, capable of running large models and doing lots of heavy lifting. Combined with a decent price point for a system of this caliber. Apple solely serves the consumer market, so "thin & light", compromise & marketing prevails over all else today...

Hardly surprising that Mac sales are falling, as a decent spec 15" MBP starting at $2500, too expensive for the average consumer, too weak a package for many professionals. Apple stays on the same trajectory there is no reason to think sales figures will change, irrespective of new models coming this year...

Q-6

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
8kg (17.6lbs)

Kaby Lake K-series Intel Processor
2x Geforce GTX 1080 SLI
64GB DDR4
4TB SSD
Mechanical keyboard with CherryMX switches

It'll be north of $5000 and isn't due until q1 2017.

Remember the best computer is the one you have with you and has enough charge the do the job, a laptop that is too heavy to be bothered carrying around and that has a rubbish battery life is pointless.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The new Macbook Pro should focus on Professionals
Apple has long moved away from the Pros and the "pro" moniker is just a marketing term, nothing more. Sure professionals, such as businessmen and woman, designers, photographers use the MBP but so don't college students, moms/dads/grandparents, and children.

most PRO will work together with power and ethernet any way.
I don't know any pro that uses ethernet on the MBP now, especially since it doesn't come with it - unless they want a TB/Ethernet dongle

and 8 core i7 extreme
I'm sure many people would love an octo core machine, but on battery that might only last a few hours and/or way ton because of the larger batteries.

Apple isn't about producing a type of machine that is targeted to a very specific demographic, they're looking to sell these to consumers, Octo core type machines are for a tiny subset and its doubtful Apple would ever recoup any profits.

(or multi-ARM)
ARM, how does ARM processors handle running all the full blown professional apps, (not the hamstrung iOS versions), or multitasking many apps? I think if you want a full blown pro machine ARM processors are not the path to achieve the goal.

Reactions: Queen6

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
940M is weak. It's barely better than iris iGPU. Waste of heat and space IMO. So does the dGPU inside the 15" mbp IMO

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
they all (classed as mobile) are weaks compared desktop dgpu but better than integrated shared memory cards. in this case zenbook ux303ub does it well without significant extra power consumption.

what comes to mbp generally, they have been outdated (specs) when bought from the shelf as new ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.