Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
Sorry if this is a stale question, but could someone tell me what happens if you try to run Photoshop CS on an Intel Mac with OS 10.4?

It was originally for PPC of course. Is OS X able to run it anyway through some kind of emulation layer or what?

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
It runs not bad, I have only 512 mb of ram I just give it a minute and it does fine

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Sorry if this is a stale question, but could someone tell me what happens if you try to run Photoshop CS on an Intel Mac with OS 10.4?

It was originally for PPC of course. Is OS X able to run it anyway through some kind of emulation layer or what?

Yes, the emulation layer, "Roseta" seems add a moderate performance overhead. Not bad really. But notice that Adobe has a CS3 beta out now as a free download for CS2 users. CS3 runs native on Intel Macs and seems to be about 60% faster on same hardware.

Stadsport

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
I've got CS3 beta on my MacBook and it runs better than CS2 does under Windows. CS2 and before will run just fine, but not nearly as quickly.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
CS2's a bit slow, but I don't know whether CS would be faster or slower. Depends I guess on whether it used more or less memory and processing power. Probably about the same, I'd guess. It's definitely useable, just expect things to take a little bit longer than they did on a PPC.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.