Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hi everyone, so I just got photoshop CS4 and have no idea how to use it, so sorry if this is a dumb question. I tried messing around with it the first day, and got this neat little graduated filter that looks exactly like it does in this tutorial I found:

http://www.layersmagazine.com/photoshop-cs4-graduated-filters.html

However, I opened it up now and PS looks completely different. The histogram on the right of the video isn't there, instead of the side is a little panel that has color, swatches, and styles on top to choose from (along with a histogram, navigator, and info option on the right of the panel). The buttons to hit on the top are also different, and there's a bar on the left side that has other options (such as lasso and hand tool).

I can NOT find the graduated filter anywhere. Can anyone tell me how to make PS look like it does in that video again? Thanks a ton!

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
Hi everyone, so I just got photoshop CS4 and have no idea how to use it, so sorry if this is a dumb question. I tried messing around with it the first day, and got this neat little graduated filter that looks exactly like it does in this tutorial I found:

http://www.layersmagazine.com/photoshop-cs4-graduated-filters.html

However, I opened it up now and PS looks completely different. The histogram on the right of the video isn't there, instead of the side is a little panel that has color, swatches, and styles on top to choose from (along with a histogram, navigator, and info option on the right of the panel). The buttons to hit on the top are also different, and there's a bar on the left side that has other options (such as lasso and hand tool).

I can NOT find the graduated filter anywhere. Can anyone tell me how to make PS look like it does in that video again? Thanks a ton!

In the menu bar there is a "window" option... click it there ar eall avaiable windows..

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Gradient isn't a filter, but one of the selections in the Toolbar (that thing on the left of the screen). It shares space with the Paint Bucket Tool. If you don't see it, click and hold on the Paint Bucket and select it.

There are a number of preset Pallet Views under Window/Workspace. Use the basic until you get a feel of things, then set it up like you want and choose Window/Workspace/Save Workspace and name it.

Buy a book or take a class. This stuff is not for the faint of heart.

This is from CS3, but should be the same.

Dale

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-19 at 1.38.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-19 at 1.38.52 PM.png
    67 KB · Views: 72

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Buy a book or take a class. This stuff is not for the faint of heart.

The program is endless but honestly, I find it quite intuitive. Much easier to use than say, Lightroom. I always find myself hitting brick walls in that program anytime I want to do something basic (change Levels output so I can print tone in blown out highlights, for example).

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The program is endless but honestly, I find it quite intuitive. Much easier to use than say, Lightroom. I always find myself hitting brick walls in that program anytime I want to do something basic (change Levels output so I can print tone in blown out highlights, for example).

I agree with what you have to say about PS. I find it easy to figure out for most things, but when I got serious about photo retouching, I found a class helpful. Note that the OP has "no idea how to use it".

Dale

Edit: The OP is 28 and has been on MR since he was 22. He should have Adobe dna...

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Gradient isn't a filter, but one of the selections in the Toolbar..

...This is from CS3, but should be the same....

hmmmm, the tutorial refers to the new graduated filter tool in Camera Raw that's in CS4.....it doesn't seem to be about the good old gradient tool that you're referring to ??

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
hmmmm, the tutorial refers to the new graduated filter tool in Camera Raw that's in CS4.....it doesn't seem to be about the good old gradient tool that you're referring to ??

Maybe (probably) something new in CS4. No such tool in CS3. I was just guessing based on what I know... I didn't go through the tutorial. My bad...

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.