Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlasmStudios

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
New York City, New York
IUP is an absolute cluster**** from Apple. No one at Apple even seems to know what the damn program is.
But anyways, if you were one of the many people that tried using your Apple Card this morning for the pre-order, and weren't able to, you can get your payment method changed back to an Apple Card, IF you can get hold of the right person at Apple Support. When I called an hour ago, I was advised by the Apple support person that they cannot change the payment on the order, and that I'll have to cancel the order and replace with a new one with the Apple card as the selected payment. I was assured that I would not lose my upgrade or my spot for launch day delivery.

This should've been a red flag for me, but I said what the hell, it's Apple so they probably have a way to hold my spot for me. But alas, upon cancelling, I not only lost my launch day delivery, but also my ability to upgrade. Upon hearing this, the support person on call panic transferred me to someone else, who obviously wasn't the right person, who then once again transferred me to someone else who was finally able to give me the right information.

She told me that they can internally reset the pre-order and change the payment method, but since I was given the wrong information and my order was cancelled, she could no longer do that for me. After spending an hour on the phone with her, I was finally able to get the hold on my non-apple card credit card release, and hopefully, by tomorrow my upgrade eligibility will be reset. But that sucks anyway because now I won't get my new phone until November and will likely have to pay extra next to upgrade on time. FFS Apple, get your **** together and start taking this program seriously if you want people to use it.

TL;DR: If you're trying to get your payment method changed, DO NOT listen to whatever ******** the support person is telling you, ESPECIALLY if they're telling you to cancel your order.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
Really sorry to hear this happened to you. Do you have an apple store close to you? There still seems to be stock for release day pickup at the stores.

PlasmStudios

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
New York City, New York
Really sorry to hear this happened to you. Do you have an apple store close to you? There still seems to be stock for release day pickup at the stores.
That's actually a great idea. I might try to get on that depending on when they manged to reset my upgrade eligibility. On call I was told it today and the person told me that I would be able to place another order tomorrow, but then I just got an email right now saying it'll 5-7 business days.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
That's actually a great idea. I might try to get on that depending on when they manged to reset my upgrade eligibility. On call I was told it today and the person told me that I would be able to place another order tomorrow, but then I just got an email right now saying it'll 5-7 business days.
Oh goodness, that is rough! I can't believe how bad they have messed this whole preorder up.

thebrick

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
GA, United States
That's bad. beside the initial iUP payment, you can always replace your payment card on Citizens One loan website to get your 3% back with Apple Card on each monthly payment.

Reactions: KurtWilde

PlasmStudios

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
New York City, New York
That's bad. beside the initial iUP payment, you can always replace your payment card on Citizens One loan website to get your 3% back with Apple Card on each monthly payment.
Yeah that's what my plan was until I spoke to Apple and foolishly listened to Apple Support and cancelled my order.

thebrick

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
GA, United States
I thought about talking to Apple to replace the payment method, then decided to take a safer bet. I didn’t want to get into a trouble like this for about $3 additional cash back from my initial payment through Apple Card when I still get cash back from my other card.

Rien781

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2021
any updates on this? It’s been 5 days now. It’s talked to like 7 different people, including supervisors, and nothing has resulted. They’ve confirmed with Verizon that the phone is eligible for upgrade and the new Citizens loan is closed out. No one seems to know what’s going on. It’s driving me up the wall, and there’s no hope in sight.

PlasmStudios

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
New York City, New York
any updates on this? It’s been 5 days now. It’s talked to like 7 different people, including supervisors, and nothing has resulted. They’ve confirmed with Verizon that the phone is eligible for upgrade and the new Citizens loan is closed out. No one seems to know what’s going on. It’s driving me up the wall, and there’s no hope in sight.
Damn dude, sorry. I was finally able to get through today. Here's what I did, maybe it helps you. So the Apple Store app was not working for me, perhaps it was caching old data, even after force quitting the app, it wouldn't work. I finally decided to use Safari on my Mac, resetting it before (clear cache and all web data). Then went through the flow of purchasing the phone and chose the iUP as the monthly payment option. Said I'm already a part of the program and finally, it worked! Luckily the 5th Ave store has some stock available for tomorrow so I'll be going in and picking it up.

Last edited:

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I feel your pain! I had a similar issue, but with Verizon. They put my pre-order on my account and I used my Verizon dollars to pay the sales tax up front. I did all this in person at the store. Tuesday night my phone order switched to "problem with payment method" and it kept erroring out in the steps to change it. 3 chats reps yesterday morning, each more clueless than the next. Went back to Verizon when they opened, took awhile to get the rep to understand my issue then she was as baffled as me. She ended up juggling 2 phones with 2 upper support people who couldn't figure out how to let me pay for that damn tax. The last support moron decided to cancel my order WITHOUT MY PERMISSION so now I have an ipad that may or may not be cancelled depending on which platform I check, but it does have a payment method issue, and a phone that should have been here tomorrow but is completely cancelled. I am stuck having to go to some store to see if I can get lucky and buy what I want. This was my first pre-order and I will never do it again

PlasmStudios

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
New York City, New York
I feel your pain! I had a similar issue, but with Verizon. They put my pre-order on my account and I used my Verizon dollars to pay the sales tax up front. I did all this in person at the store. Tuesday night my phone order switched to "problem with payment method" and it kept erroring out in the steps to change it. 3 chats reps yesterday morning, each more clueless than the next. Went back to Verizon when they opened, took awhile to get the rep to understand my issue then she was as baffled as me. She ended up juggling 2 phones with 2 upper support people who couldn't figure out how to let me pay for that damn tax. The last support moron decided to cancel my order WITHOUT MY PERMISSION so now I have an ipad that may or may not be cancelled depending on which platform I check, but it does have a payment method issue, and a phone that should have been here tomorrow but is completely cancelled. I am stuck having to go to some store to see if I can get lucky and buy what I want. This was my first pre-order and I will never do it again

OOF. It's baffling how shockingly hard they make it for you to spend money lmao.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
OOF. It's baffling how shockingly hard they make it for you to spend money lmao.
Seriously! I was in there yesterday saying "PLEASE JUST TAKE MY MONEY!!!"

A second iPad mysteriously showed up on my account today. The first iPad showed back up too. Whoever gets me in the store tomorrow is sure going to regret it :rolleyes: :oops: ?

• Haha
Reactions: PlasmStudios

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

The worst preorder I had was for the 7+ when I was with T-Mobile. My payment went through and everything was fine except my phone sat in a warehouse in KY for almost 2 weeks. I had to use Twitter to talk to the higher ups and mysteriously my phone was overnighted and arrived the next day. I now preorder through Apple and haven’t had any issues.

Reactions: diane143

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
The worst preorder I had was for the 7+ when I was with T-Mobile. My payment went through and everything was fine except my phone sat in a warehouse in KY for almost 2 weeks. I had to use Twitter to talk to the higher ups and mysteriously my phone was overnighted and arrived the next day. I now preorder through Apple and haven’t had any issues.
My other two phones were from Apple (one pre-order, one not). Lesson learned.

PlasmStudios

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
New York City, New York
Seriously! I was in there yesterday saying "PLEASE JUST TAKE MY MONEY!!!"

A second iPad mysteriously showed up on my account today. The first iPad showed back up too. Whoever gets me in the store tomorrow is sure going to regret it :rolleyes: :oops: ?

Go easy on 'em. Be nice, most Apple staff will do whatever they can for you. It's the just phone staff that has no clue what's going on

Reactions: diane143

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Go easy on 'em. Be nice, most Apple staff will do whatever they can for you. It's the just phone staff that has no clue what's going on
It's Verizon. I stupidly went there so I could use my Verizon dollars and make sure that nothing went wrong, and they gave me a better trade in for my than Apple appeared to. (Apple keeps changing those numbers)

Not the fault of the staff, it was definitely something in Verizon's back end, except for the idiot who actually cancelled the order. To further frustrate the matter, Verizon had phone issues yesterday too, more than once I got transferred to a supervisor and mid-chat we'd both have dead space and the only way around that was to call back and get in queue again.

• Sad
Reactions: PlasmStudios
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.