Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goldengel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Switzerland
Hi

The iMac stopped to work suddenly. It switches off and it is impossible to get anything running. No light, no sound, no life.

I opened the iMac and looked at the power supply. Is anyone experienced with the PSU repair and have some idea how to proceed in this repair. How to check if I need to order new power supply? Or perhaps just some parts (like MOS-FET).

Or is it possible that CPU is defective?

PSU: ADP-200DFB

Video about current situation:

Regards

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
1) This is the Mac Pro forum, post on the iMac forum may give you more luck.

2) There is a thread here not long ago about PSU, some members discuss how to repair the PSU at there (replace all the capacitors which contribute 99% of the failure). But again, that's for Mac Pro PSU, the iMac may be very different.

jkmags

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
I had an issue with my power supply, it would from time to time make a loud buzzing sound. When my video went out and I needed to repair my video card I replaced the power supply at that time. I didnt see any of the diag lights on your motherboard turning on so it very well could be your power supply.

I bought my Power supply from iFixit but i think it was over a 100 bucks so not sure if you want to gamble with buying one and finding out it was something else. I guess you could look on ebay for a used one but not sure how much they go for.

Last edited:

Strider64

macrumors 65832
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I don't know about the iMac, but when I was building computers I had a cheap psu tester ($7 - $10 USD) or I used a multimeter that I would check the psu with if I was having any problems with the build.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.