Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
I'm trying to make a public FTP server for my friends that can be accessed anonymously. Creating a FTP server that only certain users have access to works fine but when I set access to anyone, I can connect to the ftp server 'anonymously' but any files in the FTP server are not showing up. No errors occur while connecting but the resulting directory is blank. I am running the latest version of El Capitan and the latest version of OS X Server as of last Friday, I have not checked for updates since then.

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Make sure the permissions on the files / folders you're trying to share are set to allow Everyone to read.
Did that, still didn't show up. Permissions for the folder that is shared via ftp and all the folders and files that are in it are as follows. 'Everyone' - Read Only, 'wheel' - Read Only, 'Owner' - Read and Write. It could be a issue with File Sharing settings that prevents any files on the hard drive from being read by everyone, will look when I get home.

EDIT - Messing with File sharing settings and resetting permissions didn't work, this seems to be a FTP thing as setting up File Sharing for the exact same folder with 'Guest' access enabled worked fine, but I need this to be a ftp server so that doesn't help.

Last edited:

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
My only other advice, which probably isn't helpful....

1) Be sure those permissions are applied not just to the folder, but also the files.

2) Clear ACLs and POSIX permissions and recreate.

3) Double-double check FTP config. Are there more permissions in Server.app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.