Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Recently I was gifted an Apple Store gift card which I intend to use towards purchasing an iPhone from Apple.com.

I believe Apple asks for a billing address when purchasing even with a gift card. What is the reason for this with respect to a gift card which has no info pertaining to billing address? I understand why for a credit card.

Has anyone had problems using Apple Store gift cards to purchase an iPhone from Apple.com?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Recently I was gifted an Apple Store gift card which I intend to use towards purchasing an iPhone from Apple.com.

I believe Apple asks for a billing address when purchasing even with a gift card. What is the reason for this with respect to a gift card which has no info pertaining to billing address? I understand why for a credit card.

Has anyone had problems using Apple Store gift cards to purchase an iPhone from Apple.com?

I have use gift cards to purchase an iPhone before and other products. How it works, Apple will charge the gift card when the item physically ships. Until then, there will be a pending hold placed on the gift card. If for some reason you decide to cancel your order, you can do so before an item ships and the gift card won't be charged.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Ok so the billing address request is pretty much inconsequential once it pertains to gift cards?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ok so the billing address request is pretty much inconsequential once it pertains to gift cards?

Correct. Your billing address will still apply even if you were to be using a debit card that be associated to the same account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.