Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvir-julius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
Hi,

I reinstalled my system with Sierra 10.12.4.
The macrumors.com website is not showing me the message if I would like to receive push notifications in Notification Center from macrumors.com.

I can confirm that the push notifications is working on other websites.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Did you try clicking where I marked at the top right of the page then in the page that opens click resubscribe?

Screen_Shot_2017-04-04_at_8_27_57_AM.png

dvir-julius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
Did you try clicking where I marked at the top right of the page then in the page that opens click resubscribe?

View attachment 694853

Hi,

Yes. I did that before opening this post.

As I said, fresh install of the system, nothing to delete in the library folder, but still not getting notifications while on other websites it works.

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hmm.... I think maybe something is broken here. I tried to add it in Safari and nothing appears in this pref pane. Are you seeing the same result as me?

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 8.54.57 AM.png

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Our push notifications have been a mess for a long time. I'll ask our developers to take another look at it.

Reactions: Weaselboy

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
This has been broken for several months now. I haven't been able to get notifications to work on this site on two MBPs in 3-4 months at least.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Our developers fixed a bug, so hopefully they're working better now. Still some issues, but at least no longer completely broken. :)

Reactions: dvir-julius

dvir-julius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
Our developers fixed a bug, so hopefully they're working better now. Still some issues, but at least no longer completely broken. :)

Many thanks for the update.... but unfortunately it is still not working for me ;)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Many thanks for the update.... but unfortunately it is still not working for me ;)
That seems to be the part that's still broken unfortunately. If you've removed MacRumors from the list in Safari preferences somehow, you get stuck in a limbo where the site won't offer you the opportunity to allow or deny notifications again. We're looking into it.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I am jumping on this thread and also letting you know that I'm having the same issue as the original poster. I was curious though, would following Macrumors on twitter be a suitable alternative until notifications are fixed? The other thing I was curious about is, would it be possible for the developers to look at working code from another site to maybe see what's broken and fix it easier maybe?

The last thing I was curious about, is there any advantage to follow MacRumors over say something like 9to5Mac? when they were both working for me over a year ago they seem to post the same things.

Thanks all, have a great day!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I was curious though, would following Macrumors on twitter be a suitable alternative until notifications are fixed?

https://ifttt.com/twitter

https://ifttt.com/if_notifications

A pretty good work around would be to follow the MacRumors Twitter account with IFTTT and have it send you an email when a new article is posted in the feed. You could do the same thing with IFTTT and the MR RSS feed. Or you could have either of those inputs send you an iOS notification using the IFTTT app.

I use that setup for a couple Twitter accounts I like to keep up with.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
https://ifttt.com/twitter

https://ifttt.com/if_notifications

A pretty good work around would be to follow the MacRumors Twitter account with IFTTT and have it send you an email when a new article is posted in the feed. You could do the same thing with IFTTT and the MR RSS feed. Or you could have either of those inputs send you an iOS notification using the IFTTT app.

I use that setup for a couple Twitter accounts I like to keep up with.
Thanks for the reply currently I already follow macrumors on my twitter feed. will take a look at the links posed here. thanks again

Reactions: Weaselboy

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Dredging up a somewhat old thread here, but we made some changes to our Safari push notifications setup this week. It should mean they're working much better (they certainly are for me), but please let us know if anyone's still having problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.