Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gizmogirl8919

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
usa
When IOS15 Beta 5 comes out, is it alright to install on to my main iPhone 12 Pro Max or should I wait a little longer?

Reactions: cschmelz

prithvi64

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
I have been using on XS as main phone. everything is working fine without any issue except one/two banks app.

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I use iOS 15 beta on my main phone since beta 3. I’d say it’s stable, but it’s still not a public release. The risk of bugs, crashes, and losing all your data will not disappear with beta 5. If you’re willing to take the risk, make a backup of your iPhone before jumping in the beta. If not, wait a few weeks for public release

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
I enjoy using betas on my main devices. I’ve been doing it with every beta since iOS 3.

15’s been incredibly stable for me. I had one somewhat critical issue with Beta 1, where iCloud Private Relay would just kill all network traffic, but since then the only issues I get are visual, with the occasional hang up. Sometimes Pokémon GO freaks out and I have to delete and reinstall it, but other than that no issues with third party apps.

I really like iOS 15. I’m a big fan of the new Safari (I find it much easier to use one handed), the new Maps interface I’m enjoying, and I find Focus modes to be super powerful.

gizmogirl8919

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
usa
I’m just curious because I’ve been using it on my M1 iPad pro 12.9 and I haven’t had any issues so far.

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
As a good rule of thumb, @StumpyBloke hit the nail on the head and that a beta may not be the best option for a user with such mindset. With that said, looking back at past beta iOS periods, usually beta 5-6 are pretty solid. It would be safe to assume that iOS 15 is no different in that regard. Just remember to still expect issues, all part of the fun. ;)

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
I’m just curious because I’ve been using it on my M1 iPad pro 12.9 and I haven’t had any issues so far.
If you’re thinking about it, check this thread for any apps you use, to make sure you won’t have issues with them. They may still break between now and release tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.