Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeApp1e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Will signing up for 'Apple Beta Software Program' on my new iPad Pro 10.5 void it's return warranty if I want to send it back?

I'm not sure what size is right for me, so i've brought a 10.5 inch and I want iOS 11 on it - If I send it back and buy 12.9 will Apple refuse as i've put a beta OS on it?

Thanks,

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Hi guys,

Will signing up for 'Apple Beta Software Program' on my new iPad Pro 10.5 void it's return warranty if I want to send it back?

I'm not sure what size is right for me, so i've brought a 10.5 inch and I want iOS 11 on it - If I send it back and buy 12.9 will Apple refuse as i've put a beta OS on it?

Thanks,
No, it won't. Adding software that the manufacturer itself makes is safe. I'd extend that to anything you find on the App store as well. I've dealt with software in the last 30 years, and one of the funniest beta questions I was asked, when dealing with software on a semiconductor manufacturing equipment was, "We must be doing something wrong in our communications stream to make the software crash."
My answer back was, "No, we're doing something wrong to make any data you send us cause our software to crash."

The point is, nothing in software (from known places... i.e. App store, beta tests from Apple) should make your iPad inoperable to the point of voiding the warranty. Some miscreants may have made something that does do destruction (I haven't heard of anything for iPads), but there are safeguards in the App Store that prevent this.

Plus, if Apple is destroying iPads with beta software, that really doesn't look good for them. Let's just say that Shareholder value would take a hit.

However, if you wait a week, and it won't be beta anymore.

Reactions: DeApp1e

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I disagree, this isn’t about warranty and more about the return window for unwanted items.

I’d not risk putting iOS 11 on it if there was a chance I’d want to take it back.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Hi guys,

Thanks,
No, absolutely should not be a problem

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Go for it. If you don’t like it, uninstall the beta profile and restore it via iTunes before sending it back, which will install the latest regular iOS (10.3.3).

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I disagree, this isn’t about warranty and more about the return window for unwanted items.

I’d not risk putting iOS 11 on it if there was a chance I’d want to take it back.
You realize reinstalling 10.3.3 is easy and the OP said nothing about return window.

Reactions: one more

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
You realize reinstalling 10.3.3 is easy and the OP said nothing about return window.

The OP asked about sending it back and buying a 12.9” model. No one who’s commented so far has tried returning one with 11 beta on it so we’re all guessing whether it would be an issue or not.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
The OP asked about sending it back and buying a 12.9” model. No one who’s commented so far has tried returning one with 11 beta on it so we’re all guessing whether it would be an issue or not.
FWIW I had a Mini 4 replaced (LCD light bleed) at an Apple Store while running an iOS beta. The genius asked what I thought, how it was running, etc. It wasn’t a problem whatsoever.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
FWIW I had a Mini 4 replaced (LCD light bleed) at an Apple Store while running an iOS beta. The genius asked what I thought, how it was running, etc. It wasn’t a problem whatsoever.

Good to know :)

There’s been threads on here for years about genius staff being a bit iffy about iOS 11. Hopefully this is changing now that there are public betas available.

Reactions: onepoint
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.