Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beesha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2021
My machine is a MacBook Pro. My Python 3.7.3 GUI application uses PyQt 5.9.2. The user selects a file to open via a dialog generated by PyQt5.QtWidgets.QFileDialog.getOpenFileName.

This application has run perfectly well for several years, under macOS Mojave and prior. Since upgrading recently to macOS Catalina 10.15.7, the file selection dialog usually (but not always) hangs for several minutes. During the hang time files are not selectable. Sometimes navigating to another folder is possible and other times it is not. Then without any apparent indication (I just keep trying to select a file every minute or so) files suddenly become selectable and I can proceed. All other aspects/functions of the GUI application run fine. Only the file selection is problematic.

This GUI application runs normally under Linux (Ubuntu 16.04.6), there are no delays in file selection.

I have ejected all of my external disk drives. I'm not running any resource-intensive processes that I can determine. I have had no problems with my mouse or trackpad in any other applications. I have installed the latest version of XQuartz (2.8.0_rc2). Unfortunately, my internet search for helpful information has been unsuccessful.

Has anybody had similar experience, and found a solution? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.