Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rr-obin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Hi,
I'm using iMac 27" late 2013, i7,1TB Fusion,24GB RAM (4+4 original added 8+8) AND nVidia GTX780M 4GB for all the basic things desktop is usually used for (text editing, web browsing, communicating - mails, messages, some calls... and for my work - video editing (FinalCut, Motion, Davinci Resolve), picture editing (Photoshop, Illustrator).
I need to switch to laptop because of increasing number of projects, which are better edit on spot.
And there is a question - which MacBook Pro is comfortably suitable for all that work?

A/
Is it better to buy brand new top 15" model (i7 Kabylake, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 560)
or
B/
find some used (and nice) one with similar configuration but with nvidia GPU?? (for example MBP 15" 2014, i7(probably Haswell), 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, nVidia GTX750M 2GB)

Someone with experience?

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
In most cases, the 560 Pro absolutely massacres the 750M. The R9 M390X GPU in the 2015 MBP15 romps the 750M GPU in the 2014 MBP5, and the 460/560 Pro GPU in the 2016/2017 MBP15 romps the R9 M390X GPU in the 2015 MBP15.

With large video files, the much faster SSD of the 2017; with 4k video, the hardware support of the 2017; and with Thunderbolt 3 on the 2017 to better take advantage of external GPUs, all put a 2017 15-inch in strong favor, IMO.

Last edited:

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I've chosen Option C - Wait

I own a small company - CAD, drafting, image editing, graphics/video for presentations to clients. PCs and Macs, with vendors hawking products every frickin' day. I need new Macs and PCs. My daily driver is a late-2013 rMBP (2.6 i7/16GB/1TB/dGPU) and I need the nVidia dGPU to use with a few apps that employ CUDA - my company uses several iMacs and newer rMBPs with AMD dGPUs, and pretty much all of my PCs use nVidia Quadro GPUs as they're hugely more powerful for the CAD/CAM apps used.

Why wait? The short version - Intel has already pushed their 8th-gen processors out and, in less than 10 weeks TB will be royalty-free. I've already demoed some stripped down PCs with the newer Intel processors and they pretty much blow away the 7th-Gen silicon; several PC manufacturers have just pushed out products that can be purchased today with the newer processors and I can't see Apple waiting too long - the newer processors are simple swaps, same pin configuration. For PS, rendering (video and SHAPE files), and database crunching I'm seeing 15-40% faster results with the newer processors and identical PC hardware. The 8th-gen processors are cheaper than the existing 7th-gen processors and IMO Apple is just blowing out inventory, it's about time for a processor boost.

I wouldn't buy my rMBP today for the work you're looking for, OP - and my rMBP is identical to what you called out but with the 1TB SSD. Additionally, Black Friday is in just a few weeks. For a speed boost, put a few bucks into a really fast scratch/project disk - I use a Samsung EVO 850 in a USB 3.1 Gen2 enclosure; if you're not using a scratch disk now - start using a scratch disk now…

Reactions: e1me5 and phrehdd

rr-obin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
I've chosen Option C - Wait

I own a small company - CAD, drafting, image editing, graphics/video for presentations to clients. PCs and Macs, with vendors hawking products every frickin' day. I need new Macs and PCs. My daily driver is a late-2013 rMBP (2.6 i7/16GB/1TB/dGPU) and I need the nVidia dGPU to use with a few apps that employ CUDA - my company uses several iMacs and newer rMBPs with AMD dGPUs, and pretty much all of my PCs use nVidia Quadro GPUs as they're hugely more powerful for the CAD/CAM apps used.

Why wait? The short version - Intel has already pushed their 8th-gen processors out and, in less than 10 weeks TB will be royalty-free. I've already demoed some stripped down PCs with the newer Intel processors and they pretty much blow away the 7th-Gen silicon; several PC manufacturers have just pushed out products that can be purchased today with the newer processors and I can't see Apple waiting too long - the newer processors are simple swaps, same pin configuration. For PS, rendering (video and SHAPE files), and database crunching I'm seeing 15-40% faster results with the newer processors and identical PC hardware. The 8th-gen processors are cheaper than the existing 7th-gen processors and IMO Apple is just blowing out inventory, it's about time for a processor boost.

I wouldn't buy my rMBP today for the work you're looking for, OP - and my rMBP is identical to what you called out but with the 1TB SSD. Additionally, Black Friday is in just a few weeks. For a speed boost, put a few bucks into a really fast scratch/project disk - I use a Samsung EVO 850 in a USB 3.1 Gen2 enclosure; if you're not using a scratch disk now - start using a scratch disk now…

There is no C for me... i need machine for work on clients place...that is why i cant wait.
And in the same way is the question => USED one with nVidia (because of the CUDA chip) or new MBP 17 with all the strength POSSIBLE for NOW

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
And in the same way is the question => USED one with nVidia (because of the CUDA chip) or new MBP 17 with all the strength POSSIBLE for NOW
That's why I wrote what I did in my final paragraph - FCP/Motion/PS/Illy work better with the newer AMD dGPUs than the almost-5-year-old 750M. Do what I did regarding Resolve, reach out to Rohit Gupta - he related that the 4GB AMD GPU is a really powerful option for Resolve/Studio; Resolve always wants more VRAM. That's why I wrote that I wouldn't buy my rMBP - better specced than the one you called out - to do what you want to. Pretty much all newer commercial graphics Mac SW is geared toward AMD GPUs…

Over and out.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
If you have the cash, and no specials needs for the nVidia GPU, go for the 2017 MBP. You will have much better performance from the vastly more powerful hardware & as it was mention above, the optimisation of Apple ProApps and Metal software like Resolve, with the AMD GPUs, but you will also be future proof, as the latest model will be able to handle the ever increasing video resolutions and bitrates.
I believe this article might be helpful to you, as it states Benchmarks as well, so you can see the difference between the previous models of MBPs and the current one

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/art...the-kaby-lake-macbook-pro-and-final-cut-pro-x

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Nothing has a new enough (or good enough) Nvidia chip to make it better than the amd’s in the current machines no matter what you use it for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.