Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
If you are using a QNAP via TB3 and plan to update to Firmware Version 5.0.0.1828, please be aware there is a bug. QNAP is aware of it. Unfortunately, the tech support person I spoke to, prior to updrading to V5.0 did not inform me of the bug. When I called back, a different support person told me some users are reporting drops is speed down to 30%.

After I finished the update, the connection speed between my Mac Pro and the QNAP dropped so low that the transfer of files from my Mac Pro to the QNAP should have taken less than 5 minutes. The estimate bar said the process would take 2 hours 10 minutes. I also had difficulties connecting and/or accessing the QNAP.

I reverted to the previous version (4.5.4.1800) and thankfully after being warned that some users who reverted experienced data loss and other issues, I am not one of them.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
From the QNAP website:

Thunderbolt write speeds are lower than expected in QTS 5.0.0. Note: Due to Thunderbolt driver compatibility issues, if you are using macOS 11/12 devices with Intel processors, we do not recommend updating QTS to 5.0.0 for the time being.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.