Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
I recently purchased a QNAS (TVS 872XT). I am in the process of setting it up and have run into several configuration pop-ups. I've been working with tech support (very responsive) and they requested I download and install Putty and Teamviewer. When I went to the sites, they appear to be screen sharing programs. Since 2004, I have not installed any programs not made by Apple with the exception of Adobe (circa 2004), Nik Collection (circa 2007), Carbon Copy Cloner (2010), Wacom (2015) and QNAP Finder (2020). To date with Apple, I have not experienced a single hiccup, disk failure or system failure andI attribute this to my strict "no download" policy. I only allow Apple to access screen sharing. Adobe is notorious. Every time I call them, before you can even finish explaining what is going on they want to screen share. I tell them no and then request they walk me through the solution.

As times have changed, maybe I need to as well. Does anyone have experience with these programs? If so, I would really appreciate some feedback to placate my concerns.

System:
Mac Pro 2013
Catalina 10.15.5
Safari 13.1.1

Have a great day.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I recently purchased a QNAS (TVS 872XT). I am in the process of setting it up and have run into several configuration pop-ups. I've been working with tech support (very responsive) and they requested I download and install Putty and Teamviewer. When I went to the sites, they appear to be screen sharing programs. Since 2004, I have not installed any programs not made by Apple with the exception of Adobe (circa 2004), Nik Collection (circa 2007), Carbon Copy Cloner (2010), Wacom (2015) and QNAP Finder (2020). To date with Apple, I have not experienced a single hiccup, disk failure or system failure andI attribute this to my strict "no download" policy. I only allow Apple to access screen sharing. Adobe is notorious. Every time I call them, before you can even finish explaining what is going on they want to screen share. I tell them no and then request they walk me through the solution.

As times have changed, maybe I need to as well. Does anyone have experience with these programs? If so, I would really appreciate some feedback to placate my concerns.

System:
Mac Pro 2013
Catalina 10.15.5
Safari 13.1.1

Have a great day.

I download a **** ton of stuff and an constantly playing around with new apps and deleting them, doing development and fritzing with homebrew.

I’ve not had any system hiccups etc. So, what do I attribute that to?

Perhaps you should loosen up a little?

Reactions: Average Pro

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
I'll take it even one further. My iPhone only has the Beddit 3 app (which is an Apple product). I use an iPod touch from 2014 for all of my apps. The touch does not contain any contact or other personal information on it. So if any of these apps want to look for data on, they are welcome to.

I'm currently following a discussion on this forum where someone is experiencing several problems with their new Mac Pro. So far, most of the responses have been to remove post-installed hardware and software to get to the root of the problem.

This started for me when I had a complete PC crash in 2004. Constant crashes after installing required software for new programs. This was followed by inevitable conflicts with another program already installed on the computer. Apple saved me. Thank Science.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.