Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Overmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
Hi,
I am lucky enough to have a good working G5 quad with the latest rev. water cooler. It appears to be working perfectly, passing all the tests in ASD 2.6.3 and I've not had a single crash or frozen system while running Sorbet Leopard 1.5. When running benchmarks CPU A peaks at around 65C and CPU B at around 75C. Which seem healthy to me..? I never owned one of these back in the day (my first Mac was the MacPro 1.1), but I have noticed that this one is insanely loud, and the fans appear to be running at full tilt 90% of the time.

My problem is that I'm unable to run Thermal Calibration. It just freezes and goes nowhere. LED2 (overtemp) and LED7 (checkstop) are lit up on the motherboard. I've attempted this four times now with the same results so I guess it's not a fluke. I let one of the attempts run for about 3 hours but it never got past CPU0.

Is there anything I can do here except refurbishing the cooling system? I'm not hugely technical and I'm fairly certain that I would ruin this machine if I started messing with flushing and refilling the cooler. I might be able to apply some new thermal paste but just getting these CPU cards out without breaking something seem like a challange.

I would love to hear your thoughts. If there are other things to try, or if disassembly is my only course ahead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.