Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bellamy-Wong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
USA
Now I found a strange theory about type-c cable from a google engineer. The engineer said the type-c to USB-A cable which has the 10 Ohm resistor is illegal. Because it may cause fire on the wall adapter.
As what the engineer said, it seems reasonable. The wall adapter may cause fire.
But after I think deeply, I find this theory is logical contradiction. The google engineer is an idiot.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
But after I think deeply, I find this theory is logical contradiction. The google engineer is an idiot.

What a crude assessment for something you don't seem to know enough about to reasonably discuss.

It's not just the resistor, far from it -- it's the quality of the cable and a number of other things. The documentation on this is practically endless, so I'm not sure why you've chalked it down to just being the resistor. Plenty of USB ports/mainboards have been shorted by poor quality hubs that either feed voltage back due to shoddy design or try to draw too much power from the ports.

Besides, the Google engineer is taking up his time to personally verify each cable, so that consumers have a little more confidence that what they buy won't be dangerous for their $1000 machine. That's admirable, at the very least.

Bellamy-Wong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
USA
It's not just the resistor, far from it -- it's the quality of the cable and a number of other things. The documentation on this is practically endless, so I'm not sure why you've chalked it down to just being the resistor. Plenty of USB ports/mainboards have been shorted by poor quality hubs that either feed voltage back due to shoddy design or try to draw too much power from the ports.
I know what you are worried about. But I analyse this problem by my knowledge. It is reasonable.
All what you said is the bad result, which is easy to know, but not all the fact. Jut let me tell you how I think. Then judge my thought.
The cable is like the bridge, which connects the smartphone to the wall adapter. It carries the power from the wall adapter to the smartphone. Now the best cable has its brain to control the voltage and current to avoid the harm of the inferior wall adapter, such as the apple's lightening cable. But what the most important is the wall adapter, I think.
And then think about the machine. For example, the nexus 5x uses USB TYPE-c port. You can check the details about the nexus 5x. It provides the 15W/3A new USB Type-C charger. It means that it can accept the max 5V/3A power. So is it the fault of the cable, which can give you the 3A current? You also can check the Google shop and it had ever provided the 3A current cable.
See the link: https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_usb_standard_a_plug_cable
Then see the real leading role: the wall adapter. In my opinion, using the high quality wall adapter is the most important. It directly affects the life of a machine. So I think the most important point is the wall adapter, not the cable.
You can't say that the rocket can't fly as a bird and think it is useless. It is really ridiculous.
[doublepost=1457948913][/doublepost]
Besides, the Google engineer is taking up his time to personally verify each cable, so that consumers have a little more confidence that what they buy won't be dangerous for their $1000 machine. That's admirable, at the very least.
I don't believe the google engineer spends his time in testing the cables for the purple of the noble. I think he only desires to be the god of the USB-C cables and gets the pleasure from it. Because if the his theory about the USB-C cable is wrong, it means he is a tyrant. How a normal man can waste his time to do such things?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I don't believe the google engineer spends his time in testing the cables for the purple of the noble. I think he only desires to be the god of the USB-C cables and gets the pleasure from it. Because if the his theory about the USB-C cable is wrong, it means he is a tyrant. How a normal man can waste his time to do such things?

Ah yes, now that you mention it — the Google engineer in question was frequently described as "the Caligula of the cable world".

His tyrannical efforts to check which cables damage devices is far from a noble one, as you rightly said. Mad with power, and brandishing an insatiable lust to deify himself in the eyes of the humble USB cable, he declared himself God over all inanimate coiled-charging beasts.

Thank you for opening our eyes up to this conspiracy, but the whole world needs to know! I urge you; nay, I'm compelled to almost beg you; fly from MacRumors, Bellamy — go to all corners of the Internet, and sing this tale so that all will hear! Your quest is surely a difficult one, but I can't think of anybody more suited to the task.

Reactions: 4004786

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
I think that Benson Leung's reviews do have some merit; he flushes out the bad cable makers and forces them to clean up their act, but I rarely see that happen. Also, Benson doesn't take into account production runs; cables from one batch may be bad, but maybe they're good in another batch? He does follow up, some times..

Bellamy-Wong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
USA
I think that Benson Leung's reviews do have some merit; he flushes out the bad cable makers and forces them to clean up their act, but I rarely see that happen. Also, Benson doesn't take into account production runs; cables from one batch may be bad, but maybe they're good in another batch? He does follow up, some times..
Although I don't agree with him all, Benson has his own idea. As you can see, he only reviews the USB-A to USB type-c cable and does a great job. But my idea is that there is nothing wrong with the cable. It is charger! Charger is the most important part!

Bellamy-Wong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
USA
His tyrannical efforts to check which cables damage devices is far from a noble one, as you rightly said. Mad with power, and brandishing an insatiable lust to deify himself in the eyes of the humble USB cable, he declared himself God over all inanimate coiled-charging beasts.
I like your respond. What you said is not wrong at all. Now I realize that I misunderstand the effort of Benson. But it still can't change my view about Benson. He just want to be a judge. What he did is useless. Believing me, my point will be proved by USB institute.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.