Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I recently purchased a Nikon D50 with a Tamron 28-80mm and a Tamron 70-300mm lens. I figured I would be able to use the 28-80 for the occasional closeup pic (not like really close, but relatively.. see example) I would do. Bare with me as I don't *fully* understand lenses. Anyway, I've been trying to get a picture with it and I just can't. It seems to be out of focus? Just hoping for some tips and so on. Here is a picture that I am trying to get but can't, for example.

106459198-M.jpg

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I assume that was auto-focused and not manually focused? Can you get a sharp photo with the lens using manual focus?

One of the things I really like about the Nikon AF-S lenses is the way you can manually "fine tune" the autofocus without having to switch to manual mode. It's saved a few photos for me.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I assume that was auto-focused and not manually focused? Can you get a sharp photo with the lens using manual focus?

One of the things I really like about the Nikon AF-S lenses is the way you can manually "fine tune" the autofocus without having to switch to manual mode. It's saved a few photos for me.

The sample I posted was autofocused on my old camera. I didn't explain this correctly, I am trying to just get a decent focus as shown in the pic above. With my new camera and new lens, I can't get anything but blur from within apx. 1 1/2'.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
The sample I posted was autofocused on my old camera. I didn't explain this correctly, I am trying to just get a decent focus as shown in the pic above. With my new camera and new lens, I can't get anything but blur from within apx. 1 1/2'.

I think he got confused because that sample photo looks kinda blurry too, lol.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003

Oh okay - that's easy. If you look at the Tamron's specs, its closest focus distance is about 27 inches.

I suppose you could use a close-up filter; but you'll lose depth of field.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I recently purchased a Nikon D50 with a Tamron 28-80mm and a Tamron 70-300mm lens. I figured I would be able to use the 28-80 for the occasional closeup pic (not like really close, but relatively.. see example) I would do. Bare with me as I don't *fully* understand lenses. Anyway, I've been trying to get a picture with it and I just can't. It seems to be out of focus? Just hoping for some tips and so on. Here is a picture that I am trying to get but can't, for example.

Use the longer lens from further back, that way you don't run into the problem of optical design and minimum focusing distance.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
honestly, if I were you, I'd ditch both of those lenses fairly soon. I remember you said you switched to nikon for the glass. You should think about faster, sharper lenses with better bokeh. Based on looking at your smugmug and thinking of other photos you've shown me in the past, I'd recommend these lenses to you:
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
The nikon kit 18-55 (I know, I know, but it's actually not bad) or sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5
Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro

If you really want a nice telephoto, you'll have to save up over $700...

Hope this helps!:)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
If you decide to buy the 18-55mm Nikon Nikkor lens, let me know.. I'm thinking about upgrading mine.

-Matt

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't know how these "blurry" photos look, but if you got in really close to the subject, or you were shooting at somewhat long focal lengths (say 60-80 mm with the Tamron), and you were shooting at the widest aperture (probably f/5.6), then it may be unsharp because of a depth of field issue. This would make it a photography issue, not a lens issue. ;)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I recently purchased a Nikon D50 with a Tamron 28-80mm and a Tamron 70-300mm lens.

Your sig says you want a D80. Why? You'd still be shooting through those Tamron lenses. If you want better images you should be looking at upgrading the optics first. A couple more megapixels will not make one bit of difference But if you spent just a little on a used Nikon macro lens. you'd see a dramatic improvement. basically night and day level of difference in result.

I have a 30 year old Nikon macro lens that is absolutely tack sharp. You can pick these up for under $100. If you do decide to get one the autofocus lenses are nice but if you don't have the cash look for an "AI-S" type manual focus lens. These older "Micro Nikors" are still among the best ever made and they are cheap on today's used market

I assume you are using a tripod for this type of work. If not there is little hope of ever getting a really sharp image. Small movements in and out of a few millimeters throw off the focus. You need to keep the camera from moving. If you don't have and can't afford a tripod use a ziplock bag filled with sand on top of a stack of cinder blocks as a camera suport ($5 total cost) Also use the IR remote control to trip the shutter so your finger does not shake the camera. If you don't have the remove then you can use the self timer. Set a 10 second delay to give the camera time to stop shaking. But if outdoors you want to trip the shutter just as the wind stops, and as luck would have it, if using the timer a puff of wind always comes up. The remote let's you pick the exact time. Worth $19.95.

One other thing. If these are for the web. Don't down sample, crop instead. Pull the camera back three feet then crop of the tiny flower from the center of the frame. If all you need is a 300 pixel image this works best and aviods the whole issue of macro photography

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
When I bought my D70, I got the kit 18-70mm lens. I don't imagine you want to spend the money right now - but for what you want to do, that is a GREAT lens. It'll focus to 15", and it is quite sharp - it just kills the Digital Rebel's kit lens (which I have shot with).

It was a great lens for shooting flowers and such up in the Waimea Valley.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.