Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I understand that an AirTag will beep in three days when away from its owner and moved.

But what if there are no iDevices around? How does it know it’s been moved? E.g., an Android user has your AirTag and drives off to a location with no iDevices.

Does the AirTag have an internal clock? Even if it does have an internal clock, how does it know it’s been moved without other iDevices present?

Surely it doesn’t beep in three days if it’s been stationary. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to leave one at home when gone for more than three days without it beeping and causing a nuisance.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Cool, thanks. So I’m guessing it has an internal clock too so it can mark the passage of time across three days? Or is having a clock necessary for the function of all accelerometers?
Yeah, pretty much any processor would have an internal clock. Pretty necessary for a lot of functions. Heh. You could stop it by pulling the battery (but, then, why not just remove the AirTag at that point?) :D

Reactions: thewhitehart

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Yeah, pretty much any processor would have an internal clock. Pretty necessary for a lot of functions. Heh. You could stop it by pulling the battery (but, then, why not just remove the AirTag at that point?) :D
Interesting, thanks. I think I’ve finally satisfied my curiosity on how these things work. There were certainly a lot of questions. I just bought one. Really cool device.

I was wondering “if an AirTag falls in the forest, and nobody’s around, does it make a sound?” :D

• Haha
Reactions: Howard2k

Applecool78

macrumors member
May 30, 2021
Interesting, thanks. I think I’ve finally satisfied my curiosity on how these things work. There were certainly a lot of questions. I just bought one. Really cool device.

I was wondering “if an AirTag falls in the forest, and nobody’s around, does it make a sound?” :D
that time a animal will eat it up probably. It may make a sound affter the 3 day Point.
or A explorer might find it …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.