Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gill Bates

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Hi

I'm looking at getting an ipad.
But unsure which storage size I need.
I use Dropbox for everything. and it's at about 50-60 GB now (on PC).

I wonder..
How does the ipad handle dropbox files?
Are they kept in the cloud until needed, like on a phone?

If so, then what if I make a huge video project on the ipad. Then surely the files are on the device?
When are dropbox files in the cloud, and when are they kept on the device?

Thank you

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Dropbox on my iPad is taking up 193.1 MB, with 88% or so of my 3.25GB Dropbox storage used. So the files must be on Dropbox servers/cloud.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Hi

I wonder..

If so, then what if I make a huge video project on the ipad. Then surely the files are on the device?

Thank you
If you have the paid version of Dropbox (and you do), you can sync your folders locally. Is it like on a pc? Not really... IOS doesn't seem to allow background sync. I have the same problem with onedrive 365. The sync is done while the app is open but once the ipad is locked it's put on hold, even if background activity is allowed. So if you have many gigs to sync you better plug your ipad and set it to never go to sleep until you finished syncing, leaving the app open and the ipad alone. Once it's done you have your files available locally. If it's smaller files they will be immediately synced every time you open the app.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi

I wonder..

Thank you
Yes, they’re kept in the cloud.

hancuriang

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2019
Dropbox works like on the phones... its been long since I used dropbox but i remember you can mark the file ‘offline’ so it will be stored locally but im not sure if you update the file through another device, it will also update the offline file...

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Dropbox works like on the phones... its been long since I used dropbox but i remember you can mark the file ‘offline’ so it will be stored locally but im not sure if you update the file through another device, it will also update the offline file...
You can mark a file offline with the free version, for folders you need the paid version. I have not tried with single files but for updating folders see my post above

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.