Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Quick question, I was reading about how the new macbook pros can have pretty short battery charges. Since I plan on taking my computer with me to school (which is 9 hours) when I get it, could I buy an external battery pack to keep the computer charged throughout the day without having to actually be near an outlet?

I was looking at this model:
https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-26400mAh-Portable-Universal-Smartphones/dp/B073ZDYD5Y

It says it has an 80w output, which is pretty close to the 15" mbps 87w output adapter. Would using a lower output hurt the computer, or the battery pack? Does anyone have a better battery pack suggestion

EDIT: Also what is USB PD? Some power banks list it as being necessary to charge a macbook while some power banks don't mention USB PD at all in their ad.

Last edited:

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Our MacBook can be easily charged from a battery block - we have a 20000mVa (I think), but it doesn't do so much for the MacBook Pro - rather than charging, seems to keep the battery going a bit longer.

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Our MacBook can be easily charged from a battery block - we have a 20000mVa (I think), but it doesn't do so much for the MacBook Pro - rather than charging, seems to keep the battery going a bit longer.
Yeah I was hoping to maybe get a batter pack that would have a high enough output to actually charge the computer rather than just keep it alive.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Yeah I was hoping to maybe get a batter pack that would have a high enough output to actually charge the computer rather than just keep it alive.

It will charge it just fine unless you are using more than 80w, even with an Apple charger plugged in and the computer working at full pelt it will slowly discharge the battery as the computer can use slowly gutsy more than the charger can supply. This shouldn’t be so bad on the 2016/2017 machines as the cpu at 45w and the gpu at 35w are better than ever but ram and screens etc will push it up.

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
It will charge it just fine unless you are using more than 80w, even with an Apple charger plugged in and the computer working at full pelt it will slowly discharge the battery as the computer can use slowly gutsy more than the charger can supply. This shouldn’t be so bad on the 2016/2017 machines as the cpu at 45w and the gpu at 35w are better than ever but ram and screens etc will push it up.
Oh alright but under a light load if the battery pack output is high enough it will charge depending on the computer load? Great!

Also how do I check if the battery pack is manufactured with failsafes to not cause damage to the computer?

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
That seems like a good option but it looks like reviews are all over the place regarding the 15" mbp. Some reviews say it's great at charging, some say that because the mbp charger draws over 87w that the pack can't support that.

I don't really understand how battery watts work since this battery can provide up to 100w via the plug, but some people are saying that that still isn't enough for the 87w plug the mbp uses? How does that work?

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
So 10 hours of battery life per charge is short to you? Interesting.

I bought this one about a month ago, works great with my MacBook Pro 13, can use the notebook and have it charge with the power level increasing, and this gives about an addition 3to 4 hours of use. Although I'm not sure if there is enough wattage to power a 15. You can check out the reviews and see what they say.

Reactions: Marc_S

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I bought this one about a month ago, works great with my MacBook Pro 13, can use the notebook and have it charge with the power level increasing, and this gives about an addition 3to 4 hours of use. Although I'm not sure if there is enough wattage to power a 15. You can check out the reviews and see what they say.

Not sure why you quoted me.....wrong post? My comment was about the MacBook Pro battery lasting up to 10 hours and questioning the OP stating he heard the new Pro's don't last long.

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
So 10 hours of battery life per charge is short to you? Interesting.
I mean 10 hours is great except from what I've seen regarding reviews on the 16 and 17 is that the battery rarely actually lasts that long. Obviously I'll wait to see how it works when mine arrives, but I'm not expecting to be blown away by amazing battery life with this computer based on other people's reviews.

Yeah I've read some reviews on different battery packs and it seems none of the packs are actually powerful enough to actually charge the 15" macbook as it's being used (from what I understand from the reviews). It wouldn't be terrible if they just keep the battery at it's current level though so I guess it all works out roughly the same.

Last edited:

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I tested an older large Mophie pack we had yesterday at my desk, with screen brightness about 60% and some work which used the graphics card (2017 MBP 15) and the charge level fell from 100% very quickly.

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
I tested an older large Mophie pack we had yesterday at my desk, with screen brightness about 60% and some work which used the graphics card (2017 MBP 15) and the charge level fell from 100% very quickly.
So the pack didn't do much? I thought the pack would power the mac until the pack runs out of battery before the battery inside the MacBook starts being used?

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
So the pack didn't do much? I thought the pack would power the mac until the pack runs out of battery before the battery inside the MacBook starts being used?
That is exactly what happens with a MacBook - but a MBP not so good.

I think it is a little like using navigation on the iPhone on some occasions - it still loses charge plugged in!

Are you sure you need this - I am thinking 5 lectures and a seminar/practical - it should easily last that long and working in the library etc there should be mains. Our college has multiple plug outlets for students in the lecture theatre - the laptop they are given in year one may have a goodish battery, but by the end of the course it is pretty essential.

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
That is exactly what happens with a MacBook - but a MBP not so good.

I think it is a little like using navigation on the iPhone on some occasions - it still loses charge plugged in!

Are you sure you need this - I am thinking 5 lectures and a seminar/practical - it should easily last that long and working in the library etc there should be mains. Our college has multiple plug outlets for students in the lecture theatre - the laptop they are given in year one may have a goodish battery, but by the end of the course it is pretty essential.
Oh ok. I didn't even think that was possible but you're right I have noticed that on the iPhone. Well I'm going to school for data analytics which would require more or less 9 hours of straight note taking and coding. Not really heavy duty stuff so maybe it will last the full day I'm not sure. Just don't want to have to always be near a plug.

Marc_S

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2017
United Kingdom
That seems like a good option but it looks like reviews are all over the place regarding the 15" mbp. Some reviews say it's great at charging, some say that because the mbp charger draws over 87w that the pack can't support that.

I don't really understand how battery watts work since this battery can provide up to 100w via the plug, but some people are saying that that still isn't enough for the 87w plug the mbp uses? How does that work?

can't say I know how wattage works but I bought one 2 months ago for use with my 13 inch 2017 MBP with TB and it works fine. Not sure about the 15inch. Suggest you email the manufacturer from the amazon web page to ask. Cheers

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
That looks like a nice option but I think I'm going to go with this model:
https://www.amazon.com/BatPower-360...06XT11YT9/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

There are several reviews form people with the newer 15" macbook pros and they all say that it actually charges the laptop instead of just maintaining the battery like other lower output power packs. Kind of expensive, but if it works then it'll be worth it I'm sure.

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.