Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
So I have been contemplating getting a 2TB plan for my family. I am wondering though that once we start family sharing, do we share just one iCloud Drive and files account?

I ask because there are work files and folders I would like to keep separate, but I don’t know if by sharing, my wife and kid now have access to all of my folders and files on my iCloud Drive?

Thanks in advance. I read the support documents and looked at some old forum posts but couldn’t find a direct answer.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing you share is the storage space. The individual application options like Music, Photos, iCloud Drive etc are individual and only you can see them unless you explicitly share.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
So I have been contemplating getting a 2TB plan for my family. I am wondering though that once we start family sharing, do we share just one iCloud Drive and files account?

I ask because there are work files and folders I would like to keep separate, but I don’t know if by sharing, my wife and kid now have access to all of my folders and files on my iCloud Drive?

Thanks in advance. I read the support documents and looked at some old forum posts but couldn’t find a direct answer.
No. You are just sharing storage space.
[automerge]1576444728[/automerge]
“Work” files haha.
???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.