Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saint_Blaise

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2020
After I select a slide over app, it stops being the slide over app when I open the specific app on its own. Is that the correct behavior?? I seem to remember it going back to being the slide over app in iPadOS 14 and 15 betas 1 and 2 and losing its status only when the iPad is restarted.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
It depends on the app, doesn't it? With apps that support multiple instances it will keep the slide-over instance in place (sometimes, I'll admit this seem inconsistent).

Honestly, I wish things would stay in slide over unless explicitly moved by the user. I also wish Apple pushed more developers to support multiple instances. The new multi-tasking makes it easier to keep different "setups" of split-screen apps for different tasks in the background. Apps that don't support that throw off my workflow.

Saint_Blaise

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2020
It depends on the app, doesn't it? With apps that support multiple instances it will keep the slide-over instance in place (sometimes, I'll admit this seem inconsistent).

Honestly, I wish things would stay in slide over unless explicitly moved by the user. I also wish Apple pushed more developers to support multiple instances. The new multi-tasking makes it easier to keep different "setups" of split-screen apps for different tasks in the background. Apps that don't support that throw off my workflow.
If instancing is the issue, I don't think any apple apps support multiple instances for slide over on 15 so far. I do like how split view is handled. I wish slide over would stay even on the home screen but I understand that would conflict with changing pages.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I have iPadOS 14 on my main device and just tried the slide over using Notes. It works as you described, it stays being the slide over app after Notes has been opened on its own.

On iOS 15, it does not. A workaround though is to long press the app and tap ‘Show All Windows’, and then tap the ‘+’ button in the upper-right corner to start a new instance. This leaves the slide over one alone and remains being the slide over app.

Saint_Blaise

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2020
I have iPadOS 14 on my main device and just tried the slide over using Notes. It works as you described, it stays being the slide over app after Notes has been opened on its own.

On iOS 15, it does not. A workaround though is to long press the app and tap ‘Show All Windows’, and then tap the ‘+’ button in the upper-right corner to start a new instance. This leaves the slide over one alone and remains being the slide over app.
Thanks for checking that. I am going to submit a feedback/bug report. I am able to create another window of some apps by tapping on the open app's dock icon. Unfortunately, I can't for music, which is really the only app I want to stay in slide over.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017

Thank you for this!! I was struggling to understand why my slide overs would disappear periodically. One of my main workflows on iOS 14 was to have commonly used apps like Messages, Calendar, Reminders in slide over and that way I can use them at any time from any app. That wasn’t working.

Not sure if I like the current implemenation because if you open one of the wrong windows you then loose the Slide over.

Saint_Blaise

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Thank you for this!! I was struggling to understand why my slide overs would disappear periodically. One of my main workflows on iOS 14 was to have commonly used apps like Messages, Calendar, Reminders in slide over and that way I can use them at any time from any app. That wasn’t working.

Not sure if I like the current implemenation because if you open one of the wrong windows you then loose the Slide over.
I think it’s a bug. If not it’s a very poor decision.

blast87

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I am having this same issue. I had 3-4 apps I would keep in slide over for my workflow. This change is insanely frustrating. I hope its a bug.

I tried having 2 windows open for the same app, so that one would hypotheticall be the slide over window and the other be the full screen option. But that does not work :(

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I lean on its apples intentional design choice rather than a bug. That behavior has been like that since iPadOS 13 or 14 iirc. For most apps that doesn’t support multiple instances, slideover means no full screen app.

Unless Apple overhauls iPadOS windows management to something more like macOS, slideover will lose full screen or split view unless multiple instances are supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.