Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
If you have a raw format such as .dng and it states that it is 8 bits is there a point to changing it to 16 bits in photoshop?

EDIT: OOPS, i meant to say 12 bits

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
That is a fairly short, and yet loaded question-

Does it matter in terms of viewing? No. Your screen is likely not capable of producing more than an 8-bit image (unless you have a $4000 Eizo).

Does it matter in terms of printing? Yes- your color space and color depth is essential for getting accurate and smooth gradients in your prints. While software will basically interpolate the bit depth- even my 5D is a 12 bit camera, and a new 1Ds is 14-bit, so selecting 16-bit conversion to tiffs allows me to go up to 16-bit. In your case, if you're printing, I would convert to 16-bit, as it would allow you more accurate editing. If you're just viewing the images, I wouldn't bother. You want to save your RAWs, regardless.

If you have a raw format such as .dng and it states that it is 8 bits is there a point to changing it to 16 bits in photoshop?

That is a fairly short, and yet loaded question-

Does it matter in terms of viewing? No. Your screen is likely not capable of producing more than an 8-bit image (unless you have a $4000 Eizo).

Does it matter in terms of printing? Yes- your color space and color depth is essential for getting accurate and smooth gradients in your prints. While software will basically interpolate the bit depth- even my 5D is a 12 bit camera, and a new 1Ds is 14-bit, so selecting 16-bit conversion to tiffs allows me to go up to 16-bit. In your case, if you're printing, I would convert to 16-bit, as it would allow you more accurate editing. If you're just viewing the images, I wouldn't bother. You want to save your RAWs, regardless.

From my understanding, it doesn't work that way.

The benefit is when the camera outputs 16 or 12 bit images you can process them without reducing the colour depth.

When you've got an 8 bit image and you convert it to 16 bits you haven't got any more colour information than you had before. You can't magically add bits that don't exist in the first place (same with digital audio, you can always convert down from 32 bits to 16, but not the other way around.)

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007

The benefit is when the camera outputs 16 or 12 bit images you can process them without reducing the colour depth.

When you've got an 8 bit image and you convert it to 16 bits you haven't got any more colour information than you had before. You can't magically add bits that don't exist in the first place (same with digital audio, you can always convert down from 32 bits to 16, but not the other way around.)

this is what I thought.

Is there any camera that produces 16 bit raws?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
this is what I thought.

Is there any camera that produces 16 bit raws?

Yes but you are not likely to have one. But many common consummer level cameras output 12 bits and a few will do 14. 12 or 14 bits of data will "fit" in a 16-bit file but not in an 8-bit file.

If you data is 8-bits does it help to convert it to 16-bits? Maybe if you are going to do a LOT of post processing but then I doubt it. Reducing the color depth is mostly a one way function you can go down but doing so throws away some information that can't be recovered by going back up.

There is just one very technical exception. It applies to both images and audio. If you add two sources, that is combine tracks or images you in theory gain a bit. The sum of two 8-bits numbers can have as many as 9 bits.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Does anyone know how to convert their RAW photo to a 16 bit TIF? Every time i convert a 12-bit RAW .DNG photo it converts it to an 8-bit TIF in CameraRaw. How do I change this?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Does anyone know how to convert their RAW photo to a 16 bit TIF? Every time i convert a 12-bit RAW .DNG photo it converts it to an 8-bit TIF in CameraRaw. How do I change this?

CS2 or CS3?

In lightroom there's just a dropdown menu when your go to export a file. Select tiff then you can select either 8 it or 16 bit. You want to select 16 bit since selecting 8 bit will shave some of your data away!

SLC

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

At the very bottom, between the "Save Image" and "Open Image" buttons is a line describing the file's color space, bit depth and resolution. Click on that and you'll get a dialog box with a drop-down for bit depth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.