Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I am looking at selling photos online as prints or downloads through a website such as deviantart.com or some other site. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any other recommended sites I should check out?

skubish

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Various photos:
Landscape photos
Flowers and plants photos

Some artistic photos as well.

I guess I would say my photos are nature photos suitable as wallpapers or prints for framing. Its all G-rated stuff.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
iStockphoto.com!!

I just joined up a few weeks ago. It requires an application process for approval, but its not that hard. Just shoot on low ISO and keep it properly exposed and focused, and you should be OK. The royalties are fairly low, but if you get enough on there you can make some real cash. It ends up turning into a bit of a lifestyle really... Shooting random things, then spending hours on end labelling and uploading.

Check me out on there... IanBJohnson is my name, photos are my game!

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
pdpfilms said:
iStockphoto.com!!

I just joined up a few weeks ago. It requires an application process for approval, but its not that hard. Just shoot on low ISO and keep it properly exposed and focused, and you should be OK. The royalties are fairly low, but if you get enough on there you can make some real cash. It ends up turning into a bit of a lifestyle really... Shooting random things, then spending hours on end labelling and uploading.

Check me out on there... IanBJohnson is my name, photos are my game!
and... how much do you make? say per hour of shooting and labeling?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
jared_kipe said:
and... how much do you make? say per hour of shooting and labeling?
Hm... well, depends on the quality of your stuff. If its things that people (companies, mainly) want to buy, you'll do really well. If not, well...

I know it's ambiguous, but how much you can make is widespread.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
pdpfilms said:
Hm... well, depends on the quality of your stuff. If its things that people (companies, mainly) want to buy, you'll do really well. If not, well...

I know it's ambiguous, but how much you can make is widespread.
Actually it looks pretty clear you get 20% (40% if you are exclusive...whatever that means). It doesn't looks like you have been to successful as only 1 of your photos has been downloaded.:eek: The potential is there though. The most downloaded photo in the last 3 months has 3000+ downloads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.