Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I just got aperture over the holidays and love it. I imported my iphoto library as a managed copy so I think that the two libraries are separate from now on. The new iphoto '09 faces feature seems very useful actually and now I think I want to use it but I want to retain the image editing options of aperture. Any suggestions on how to use each program together. The only thing I think I could do is delete my aperture library, install iphoto '09, then re-import my iphoto library as referenced masters. Seems like a pain. Suggestions?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I just got aperture over the holidays and love it. I imported my iphoto library as a managed copy so I think that the two libraries are separate from now on. The new iphoto '09 faces feature seems very useful actually and now I think I want to use it but I want to retain the image editing options of aperture. Any suggestions on how to use each program together. The only thing I think I could do is delete my aperture library, install iphoto '09, then re-import my iphoto library as referenced masters. Seems like a pain. Suggestions?

I'm pretty sure that each program can access the images in the other program's library. These is no reason to keep images in both libraries. Just pick one.

I hope the iPhoto 09 wil be able to add meta-data tages into the library based on what it "sees" in the image. This would asve me many hours of work

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
I'm going to guess that there will be an update to Aperture soon that includes face detection and location mapping.

In the mean time though, which do you use to manage your files? It seems that the face detection in iphoto is mainly a management feature so if you reference the iphoto library in aperture, it may keep the face organization. Thats what I would try.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
i hope they update aperture with the faces feature sooner than the next major release - i could see it as a big win esp. for my family shots. I would love to be able to gather all the shots of my son without having to use tags - it makes more sense to do it that way as opposed to using tags for specific people.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, I love the new face detection and location feature in iPhoto 09, I hope it will be a improved/better version for Aperture :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.