Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThankYouRob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
With the RUMORED announcement of the new MacBook Pro looming...

For someone like me who doesn't care about the latest/greatest, does Apple usually drop the prices on their PREVIOUS model (say the 2015 models) once the newest model comes out? That is a typical business practice, however, Apple is not your typical business, thus the question...I've never really followed the new hardware releases so closely as I have with the rumored updated Macbook Pro line.

I've been following the refurbished section on Apples site as I feel that is the best place to get a "new" Macbook with still getting the Apple warranty. Thoughts?

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
Apple doesn't have a strict practice regarding this. Sometimes a product is completely abandoned and sometimes it is kept around for a while as a cheaper alternative. Such as with the iPhone or the Apple Watch, you can get last years model for a discount. At the same time, sometimes products are abandoned.

Apple doesn't have a record for giving very large discounts...ever. You will still most likely find better deals from other retailers, whether they keep the current one around or not.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
apples previous model may be as old as a dinosaur from its tech, althought manufactured on the last year.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Apple doesn't have a strict practice regarding this. Sometimes a product is completely abandoned and sometimes it is kept around for a while as a cheaper alternative. Such as with the iPhone or the Apple Watch, you can get last years model for a discount. At the same time, sometimes products are abandoned.

Apple doesn't have a record for giving very large discounts...ever. You will still most likely find better deals from other retailers, whether they keep the current one around or not.

Couldn't have said it better myself. OP, this is 100% accurate.

Basically, there's no way to tell. All we can say with certainty is not to buy now, due to the refresh on the horizon.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

IconicM

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
I was wondering the same thing. Unless the performance of the new machine is way better, I would be happy with the current rMBP.

I am thinking besides getting a refurb, you might get a decent deal through BestBuy or similar on Black Friday. And Cyber Monday is just around the corner too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.