Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
Hello,

After gathering all elements needed to do this work this morning was the day to do it, CPU out, 3D printed removal support ready. Go!
materialIHSOFF.JPG

Works, got the IHS off but I remove from one of the CPU two small resistors capacitors :oops:

Resistors_missing.JPG

From your experiences can I still expect the CPU to be working as expected?

I have now to remove the glue and old past on the Die.
I found this video on youtube from someone suggested to sand the die with a 800 wet dry Sandpaper. What are you advice on this?

Thanks

Last edited:

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
Thank you KeesMacPro for your sage advice. I don't want to destroy what is left.

How can I clean the Die? beside the Sandpaper any other options?

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Don’t use the damaged CPUs. They’re just trash now.

Try to learn what went wrong then buy another set and start over.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Delidding is n exiting and risky job.
Maybe it would be nice to have/organize some non-functional CPUs to get some experience and trial/error e.g.with the removal of the paste/liquid metal left on the die.
Otherwise this may become a very expensive hobby..
There are many opinions about "the best way" but anyway i wouldnt use sandpaper for the die.
For other parts yes, but grain 1500-3000 placed on a perfectly flat surface e.g. glass to get it polished and not add more scratches.
I think if you use sandpaper for the die the risk is too big that the fine dust that comes off will get on/in between e.g. the capacitors...
After delidding i would use a razorblade and cut the liquid metal off the CPU and clean it with isopropyl thoroughly.

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
Isopropyl, Good advice!
I've removed as much as I could of the liquid metal with a flat surface made of plastic.

I'll be even more carful with the next CPU.
I should be able to run the MP with only one CPU on the tray I guess.

Reactions: KeesMacPro

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I should be able to run the MP with only one CPU on the tray I guess.
AFAIK For troubleshooting its possible to install only CPU A , but the fans will be at constant full speed .
I would wait until you got 2 nice and clean delidded CPUs :)

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
If the pads on the PCB of the CPU are undamaged, it's easy to re-install new capacitors. I usually get replacement capacitors from older/slower Xeons, removing with lot's of flux and hot air, it's very easy to solder it again.

One thing that I learned a long the way, pre-heat the IHS before removal,. It's very easy to remove it after you cut the glue and pre-heat the lid to 150º.

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
Hello Tsialex,
unfortunately I do not have in my possession such a tool to pre-heat the ISH.

The PCB seems to be undamaged, the cut are very precise.
I've found one capacitor and I can take another one from on of my old Xeon I've around here.
My solder equipment is very basic I'll give a trial.

I've ordered a new CPU with IHS.
Hope to receive it new weekend.

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
look for a tutorial on this forum: remove IHS with a vice (or vise) there is a youtube video that shows the correct way to place the cpu in the vice to avoid stripping the capacitors.

you can use a hairdryer to warm up the cpu

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
I don’t have a hairdry ... don’t need one 😁 but yes thank you for the advice. Let me find the video you are talking.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
An entry level Chinese hot air station from AliExpress, like 858d, is cheaper than a X5680. It's very useful not just to de-lid, but it'll pay itself multiple times the first time you will need to replace the SPI flash memory from the backplane. Remember, every SPI flash memory will fail, it's rated for just 100K cycles of erase/write.

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
After a lot of suspense, and a new CPU, I was able to set back my MP with both CPU delidded.
I don't think from a thermal point of view it changes something. Temperatures are fairly similar.

I don't want to touch again the CPUs :p for a while.

Thank you for your advice all of you and next time, if .., I'll use a hot air station ;)

Do you know how to see if both CPUs are able to reach the boost frequency? I don't remember hearing the intel software being compatible with our Xeon.

Reactions: KeesMacPro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.